Question How to set up ceiling speakers in an open plan space

Hamill01

Novice Member
Reaction score
Q1. I already have 4 ceiling speakers in my open plan area but I am planning to move two of them to behind the sofa to achieve a complete surround sound experience. My question is what to do with the kitchen speakers? Should I connect to another amp and have as a dedicated zone for music and simply off when I am watching TV or should I connect them to the same amp as the surround speakers as well? Speakers I plan to use are B&W CCM382s

Q2. I also plan to fit two speakers in my bedroom its wider than it is in length so is the below layout ok? speakers are B&W CCM665

Q3. will these speakers give me a better sound than a sonos Play1?
Speaker Layout.jpg

Attachments

• Speaker Layout.jpg
    Speaker Layout.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 53
OpenPlan layout - always tricky to achieve any form of 'surround' envelope as the sound in the room does not 'stick' to your seating area so any effect gets lost of worse still 'muddies' the front sound stage.

Bedroom - I'd be tempted to look for a design which has the mid/bass driver tilted and not just the HF unit.

Joe

Upvote 0
OpenPlan layout - always tricky to achieve any form of 'surround' envelope as the sound in the room does not 'stick' to your seating area so any effect gets lost of worse still 'muddies' the front sound stage.

Bedroom - I'd be tempted to look for a design which has the mid/bass driver tilted and not just the HF unit.

Joe
Many thanks Joe, RE the bedroom you mean set up on the corners titled into he room?

Upvote 0
Where we are specifying, installing or supplying in-ceiling speakers and they are not for background music we tend to use a design which has both the bass/mid and HF units ‘tilted’ within the body of the speakers - that allows you to aim the full range of audio to the listening position.

I would avoid putting speakers in a corner - work with the same principles you would with floor or stand mount speakers when selecting the ideal position.

Joe

PS Our preferred in-ceiling speakers are by Atlantic Technology - Atlantic Technology IC-6HT - The Media Factory

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom