1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set-up BOSE speakers.........

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hornydragon, Apr 7, 2005.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  2. Rich D

Rich D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL Ok OK dont rub it in ;). Saw your thread and thought AHA! :) Not to worry, im presently in talks with Jake via PM to sort some Canton gear out.

Must admit i popped off the grilles and saw paper cones. I thought huh ? These "top of the line jewel cubes" are £1100 with the sub!
    Im not an expert on AV gear but i do know that most decent speakers ive seen have butyl rubber edging to the cones.
    The Bose speakers sound pretty good. But thats it. I was expecting to be blown away and i simply wasnt. Ive since tried them with the acoustimass and they sound no different to my Dads full size Bose cubes at £600 odd less. They go pretty loud without distortion but the definition just isnt there at all.

Great looking speakers that just dont cut it IMHO

Thanks for all your help "Horny", you have opened my eyes.

Richard

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the jewel cubes are all about size....or lack of it but good luck with hunt.......

4. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,694
    That's funny. :)

Just shows the power of marketing and how good Bose are at that.

5. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dont be fooled by cone material alone. Some of the 'bests sounding' speakers are made from paper.
    This makes interesting reading.

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  7. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those who use the "paper" or "the drive units cost $35" arguments against Bose cubes clearly don't know much about speaker design, let alone the price of the components in their own speakers! Multi-thousand pound speakers use paper drivers from Fostex, Lowther and other highly respected brands. Paper is also essential if you need high-efficiency. The average driver in a £500 pair of speakers will typically cost the manufacturer £25 each.

As horny hints at, you should be amazed that any kind of sound comes out of the Bose cubes at all! Bose do tiny incredibly well (even in their 'compact' professional PA systems - a few bookshelf size speakers visible around the joint can almost pass for a whole nightclub sound system...if you've ever wondered where the loud music is coming from, its probably from a Bose..).

If you can accomodate much bigger, of course you can do better. 'Audiophiles', not for the first time, miss the point...