1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set up a tv dvd recorder and sky

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by motty, Aug 6, 2003.

1. motty

motty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just took the plunge and ordered a e50 and want to know
    how to set it up with sky and my tele.

I have a 32" widescreen with 2 scarts at the back.

I watch sky threw av1 and watch my vhs recorder from av2 at the moment.I think as well that i have my system set up wrong because my vhs recordings are not good.I think i have some leads connected wrong.

SO how would i cope with a e50,how do i do it help.
    Take me threw it step by step and i will hopefully on friday try it out.

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok. I probably have mine set up different to others but here is what works for me.

1..Connect the first scart to your Sky box scart marked "TV" then the other end into your first scart on your TV set.

2..Connect a second scart to the scart marked VCR on your Sky box and the other end into the top scart of your E50.

3..Your aerial cables are daisy linked between each recorder as per normal.

4..I assume you will also have your VHS machine still in the chain. So what I have done is connected another scart to second TV scart and the other end into your VHS recorder.

My actual set up is different to how yours will be because I have two DVD recorders and a VHS recorder along with a Sky box and a multi-sat reciever and a DVD player which shares a third scart on my TV. (Swap over as needed)

Hope this helps but I think others may suggest something a little different for your needs.

I don't know why you are getting poor VHS recordings apart from the fact VHS is poor anyhow. So check that you have got reasonable quality scart cables and not some cheap freeby.

P.S. be aware of possibly getting in a muddle with composite or "S" vidieo or RGB settings. Composite one end and "S" video another will result in a not too good black and white picture...Easily solved though on your TV and recorder menu options.

Post how you get on and enjoy. Great machines.....

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I plug the scart on the sky box into the second scart on my Philips DVD recorder and then plug the first scart of the recorder into the TV's scart (it's so old it only has one).

I also use the S-video out of the recorder to watch DVD's, sky and cable tv on my projector.

The rf out on the recorder can also be used to send signals to the portable upstairs although I tend to use sky's rf out as it allows me to use a remote extender for the sky box upstairs. This works well for me seeing as my portable is so old that it isn't remote controlled itself.

Cheers,
    Cal.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Malcolm's given a basic setup guide there. If your TV has RGB In ability then I suggest the following (if it doesn;t then I would go with Malcolms suggestion):

1) Plug your TV Scart on your Sky unit to AV2 on the E50.

2) Plug AV1 on the E50 to AV1 on your TV.

3) Switch on Sky (and the TV) but not the E50 and goto Services/Setup and ensure RGB is selected.

4) Switch on the E50 and goto Functions/Setup/Connections and select "AV1/AV2 Settings". Ensure both AV1 and AV2 are set to "RGB" and "AV2 Connection" is set to normal.

5) Your DVD Recorder and TV are now setup to get the best possible picture from Sky and from DVDs. To record on your E50 record on channel AV2.

6) Connect your VCR scart on Sky to your Scart In on your VCR.

7) Connect your VCR out Scart to your AV2 on your TV.

8) If your VCR has any other 'in' sockets you could connect these to the spare out sockets on the back of the E50 to enable you to copy your DVD recordings to VHS.

5. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Dont you lose signal quality if you daisy chain through more than 1 recording device with a aerial cable?

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Don't forget if you are using rgb in, you must not touch the "tv" button on the sky remote to control your tv before leaving the machine to make a recording. This turns the digibox output to video regardless of the fact that it is set to send rgb, anf you end up recording sound only with a black screen.

This became such a nuisance with kids using the tv button to control the tv rather than the tv remote that I ended up disabling it on the sky remote.

7. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi. I suppose it depends on your particular signal strength at the end of the day.

I have three recorders daisy chained and Two TV's via a none amplified aerial splitter. I have no reception problems with any of the units so I don't expect you will either.

In the early days of VHS machines I had to fit an attenuator because the signal strenght was to great and caused herrin bone patterning. On more recent VHS and DVD recorders that problem has not occured.

8. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi,
    I tried this today with my DVD recorder & S-VHS VCR, and everything seemed ok with the picture.
    Thanks for the info.:)