1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set up a SVS subwoofer...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tan1415, Jul 30, 2003.

1. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After the import SVS thread I think it's time for me to mention how to set up a SVS subwoofer thread...

So any tips?
    Or should I just plug it into my receiver and to the power plug and play it?

Must i be carefull with running in th esub? or could I go full blast at once?

Anyway this is my first real Subwoofe4r and I hope you guys can help me here.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty much the same as all speakers, run-in at low volumes for at least 8 hours, preferbly 30. Don't put it loud within that period.

If using in a AV setup- disable the crossover on the sub (ie on the PC Plus) or set to maximum, and use the AV amp/Processor's own sub bass management.

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Didn't give mine any special treatment. Plonked it down in the only available space at the time plugged it in and set up using a SPL meter.

I don't belive in running in, so spun the Titan AE DVD and decided that 110db+ peaks (I have standing wave problems) weren't a good idea and turned it down a bit.

Since then I've moved it around the room and it's now on the front wall next to my left main speaker. Unfortunately it can't go in the middle as it gets in the way of my PJ screen.

I am now working my way through the Harman White papers on good sound that someone pointed me to.

The speaker settings are now all 'small' as unlike my REL I think the SVS can handle the whole lot.

4. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Aren't all SVS subs run for hours before they ship anyway?

MuFu.