How to set up a dual ethernet card internet sharing with TX-NR809 and Win7

klepper

Standard Member
Reaction score
When building my Hifi mancave, I was smart enough to wire it for Cat6, etc, but not smart enough to put a few lines of cat 6 into my HTPC jack. So I only have 1 cat6 line into my computer area. My new receiver (Onkyo TX-NR809) has a ethernet port in it, which enables internet radio, media sharing, playing, firmware updating, etc. Being a techy guy I got another netcard and put it in my computer and I want to share internet to the receiver via LAN2.

I've been scouring the internet trying to figure out how to do this with Windows 7x64 to whatever system (probably linux based?). I've seen how to do it with Win7&XP, XP&XP, Win7&7 linux & Windows, and they all use some sort of "brige internet connection" or something like that, which doesn't apply to my situation. Will someone just tell me what IP stuffs to use for the following:

Lan1 (Comes from router & modem) It's set for DHCP now, but I can do manual:
IP: 192.168.0.100
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.2
DNS1:
DNS2:

Lan2 (Crossover/patch cable to Receiver)

IP:
Subnet:
Gateway:
DNS1:
DNS2:

Receiver:

ScreenShot156.jpg

DHCP Yes/No
IP:
Subnet:
Gateway:
DNS:

EDIT:

Yes, I know there are a lot of other options, I'm not asking for other options. I know I can get a switch. I don't understand why this is so hard, we used to do internet sharing all the time with 2 net cards. I just forgot what the other settings were for the second net card, I know you set the second card for manual IP, but is the gateway and DNS the first net cards IP or gateway, I forget.

Last edited:
Why not connect the Onkyo to your router (which is also connected to your computer) and have both units on this network?
If both units are in the room with only one ethernet connection then use a network switch.

buy a £10 switch from ebay or the like and plug them both into that. A switch will split the cat6 into as many connections as you want. It's basically a network splitter/router e.g it splits the signal and handles all the routing work for you.

Alright, figured it out. I'll leave this here for the ages:

NIC 1: STATIC

IP: 192.168.0.100
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (router's IP)

DNS: ISP's

Sharing Enabled

NIC 2: Static:

IP: 192.168.0.101
Gateway: 192.168.0.100 (NIC 1's IP)

Receiver: Static

IP: 192.168.0.103
Gateway: 192.168.0.101 (NIC 2's IP)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom