• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to set SVS SB12Plus for music stereo setup!

kaushama

Standard Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just bought SB12+ for my room stereo music setup. I am using Usher X-718 as stand mounts. They have frequency response down to 42Hz at 3dB.
I use a separate cable from power amp to drive to SB12+ as I have a audiophile Pre-power combo which doesn't have sub out.
What is the best way to set up SB12+ for music? Till I buy RS spl meter and cables I need to setup it for perfect integration with Ushers.
Setting room compensation and PEQ off with crossover set to 40Hz? Is that the best way?

Thanks!

angelislington

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just bought SB12+ for my room stereo music setup. I am using Usher X-718 as stand mounts. They have frequency response down to 42Hz at 3dB.
I use a separate cable from power amp to drive to SB12+ as I have a audiophile Pre-power combo which doesn't have sub out.
What is the best way to set up SB12+ for music? Till I buy RS spl meter and cables I need to setup it for perfect integration with Ushers.
Setting room compensation and PEQ off with crossover set to 40Hz? Is that the best way?

Thanks!

You may also benefit from getting a visual indication by using Room EQ Wizard (REW). Google is your friend here.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member

Thanks!
You don't need a dedicated subwoofer output. Ideally, you'd connect using a spare set of preamplifier outputs into the stereo line level input on the subwoofer. If you don't have these, wire some cheap bellwire in parallel from the poweramps speaker terminals to the subwoofers high (speaker) level inputs.

In the latter case, check with your poweramps dealer or manufacturer that it's OK to use this arrangement. Some amps have earthing arrangements that don't like this and they should be able to advise what gives.

In the mean time, I'd set it up as you suggest as even REW is useless until you get an SPL meter.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom