How to set A/V receiver to stereo?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by buddy13, Jan 4, 2012.

1. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Yamaha 671 AV receiver and need to power a set of Dimaond 10.6 floorstands for movies...

Many BD movies are recorded in multichannel DTS formats etc...do I need to set anything to make sure that I do not lose any detail in stereo?

Also I want to set the speaker impedance to 6 ohms on the receiver. Where do you do that?

Sincere thanks in advance!

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,139
    Just put the amp in 2 channel STEREO mode. The amp mixes all over discrete channels present down into the 2 stereo channels.

Don't bother switching the impedance. It does nothing of benefit and simply reduces the rail voltage at the expense of audio dynamics and fidelity.

In most cases it is best to simply leave an amp set to its 8 ohm setting regardless of the actual impedance of the speakers attached to it. The manufacturer puts them there for UL/CSA approvals as well as easing consumer concerns about driving low impedance loads. These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which will limit dynamics and overall fidelity. Keep the switch set for 8 ohms regardless of the impedance of your speakers and ensure proper ventilation of the Receiver.

A more detailed explanation can be found here:
    Setting the A/V Receiver Impedance Selector Switch — Reviews and News from Audioholics

3. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sincere thanks for your most helpful reply :smashin:.

I am no audio expert but since I am an engineer I thought that the amp would overheat or something as the current driven would be higher at the same Voltage. Anyway I will never push the Amp hard as the room has one wall adjacent to the neighbours sitting room :laugh:!

Also I am using 4 x 2.5mm sq. O2 free copper cables for the Wharfys which I buy for 2 Euros/metre. I suppose that enough...or should I go for a higher quality cable?

Do you prefer banana plugs over normal screwed connections? Also will the oxidation of Copper (at the exposed ends) form an insulation layer that increases resistance/impedance?

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,139
    As long as the copper is of a good purity and the insulation is sound then I see no reason to buy more expensive speaker wire.

I use banana plugs for convenience. A direct connection is technically superior because the plugs themselves may impede the signal, but plugs are a lot easier to install, especially in tight areas behind an AV amp.

You should strip back and cut off exposed and oxodised copper wiring once every 18 months (1 or 2cm should do the trick). I've more expensive sealed airtight banana plugs terminating my wires.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Your cable will be more than adequate so no need to buy higher quality cable.
    Banana plugs give easier connection/disconnection and can be useful at the back of the receiver where space can be limited. But they do add another connection into the system which in theory can be a possible loss in sound quality. Hence it is often recommended to just stick with bare wire connections. Oxidation of the cable can cause issues but takes a fair bit of time for this to occurr and some people get around this by cleaning the connections every now and then.

6. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help...

I think I'll go with Airloc banana plugs for behind the receiver (they really make sense). I'll leave the connections on the speakers as are though...