How to set a different password for BT Hub 6 on 5Ghz

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by leebroath, Mar 21, 2018.

1. leebroath

leebroath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Hi Guys

On my previous router settings on sky I was able to split the WiFi bands and give them separate passwords, which means the device using 2.4 or 5 would only select that one because of the set password.
    Now though we have the new ultrafast BT Hub 6 and although I can separate the bands, I can’t however give each band a separate password?

Anyone find a way to do this or tell me the router is that smart it doesn’t need 2 passwords :)

2. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I have a Plusnet router Hub? I logged in as administrator, I didn't change the passwords, I used the same SSID, but created a different one on 5GHz & added 5GHz to the name.

I can now see 2 wifi's I have to select manually.

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,514
    I have the same Smart Hub and have the bands separated with different passwords.
    As per the previous reply you need to login to the router (admin password is printed on the rear and is different from the wi-fi password) and change it.

4. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +441
    Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 17.52.40.png
    You sure about that???? I don't see an option for different passwords either.

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,514
    I did it on mine when I set it up last year.
    In your diagram above you have the 2.4HHz band at the top highlighted in dark blue.
    Try clicking the 5GHz band on the RHS.
    Regardless of being able to have a different password for each you can identify them easily by giving them a different SSID which I've done.

6. leebroath

leebroath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    I have tried also Jaycee and it’s not allowing me to see an option to change the password for 5ghz

I have read however the Router doesn’t need to have 2 passwords due to some reason or other

7. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Can't you just give the different bands different names, & use the same password?

8. leebroath

leebroath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    We are using the 2 different bands with different names

But isn’t it when you walk into the house and the iPhone / iPad know the same password it will connect to either 2.4 or 5, how do you make it one or the other, not both?

9. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    you could "forget" one.

10. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,704
    I don't have an HH6, but if you give the bands different SSID's, does it subsequently offer you the option to set a different password on each..? (If you have the same SSID for both, then you would want to have the same p/w, hence it might not give you the choice.)

A lot of client devices build a kind of "profile" for each Wi-Fi network they have used, often the list of profiles is in a (ranked) order of preference. Sometimes you can manipulate the order of preference

With multiple SSID's, the client regards each as belonging to "different" networks (and incidentally will never automatically "roam" between them until the client has completely lost connection) and you have to "choose" which one to use - which might be due to the aforementioned ranked lists of profiles for ones you've used before.

With the same SSID, (whether that's dual band or multiple AP's) the clients regard them as all belonging to "the same" network (and may automatically roam between them.) In such scenarios, the client will (probably) have one "profile" for both wavebands and not separate profiles for each. A lot of clients will "prefer" the 5GHz waveband if there's a choice as it's often where faster rates are available, (and some have setting to this effect,) but there's no mandated "rules" in the standards as to how to choose. You might be in the hands of the devices designer. Assuming the clients are dual band capable of course - many devices are 2.4GHz only, though one suspects that's becoming rarer.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  11. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +441
    You cannot select it. There is no way of setting two different passwords. I'm not even sure why you would want to tbh??? If you split them they have two different names anyway like you said and then you just pick the one you want to connect to.

12. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,514
    Correct, I logged in to my own earlier to try it.
    In my defence, I didn't ask the original question. I gave my two networks different names which is, as has been said, all that's necessary and my iPad, iPhone and MacBook always selects my 5GHz one.