How to scale up with Denon 2910 ?

S

Stilgar

Hi,

I just purchased a Pioneer PDP-436RXE (similar to 436XDE) Plasma screen and Denon DVD-2910.
I've been going trough all the menu's and functions but for some reason I can't get the Denon to scale a DVD up to 720p or 1080i. When I try this, all I get is a black image with a small flickering every few seconds.

Maybe this is a really dumb question and I'm just not pressing the right buttons, but how can I correctly use upscaling on the Denon 2910 ?

Thanks in advance !

ow btw: the connection is HDMI

ozdvduser

Manual Page 49

S

Stilgar

My English manual stops at page 39.
On page 49 the functions of the remote are explained in German.

Is it possible to give a short description of the content in your page 49 ?

Thanks

S

Stilgar

By now I think the problem goes a little further than just pressing the wrong button:

I've read both the Pioneer and Denon manual thoroughly. When I play a DVD and I press the 'format' button to scale the image up to 780p or 1080i, the Pioneer does switch the image to the selected resolution but gives me a black screen. Meanwhile the sound of the movie just keeps playing (which indicates the movie didn't stop).

I have tried to switch between NTSC and PAL, and have basicly tried every option in the setup menu from both the Pioneer and Denon, so by now I'm pretty desperate.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Try switching the Plasma off first. Set 720P on the Denon then turn the Plasma on and see if it locks onto the signal.

S

Stilgar

I have tried this, but it has no effect.
But after I did this my plasma started making a buzzing noise when turned on !!!

Jase

Distinguished Member
Have you tried changing the HDMI ouput from RGB to Component and vice versa?

S

Stilgar

Yes, and this also has no effect. Is it possible that the upscaling can only be used on certain DVDs (I tried 4 different DVDs so far).

I think the problem lies with the Denon 2910 but not sure. Maybe the Pioneer 436RXE is giving me a hard time ...

Jase

Distinguished Member
The upscaling will work for all DVD's. Does seem an odd problem though. Any way you can test out your player on another Pioneer at all (shop maybe)?

S

Stilgar

I contacted the store today and they also found it a strange problem, and couldn't immediatly give me a solution. They were going to contact Denon and call me back in a few days.

In any case, thanks to the people who replied and further suggestions are always welcome.

ozdvduser

Is the display HDCP compliant ??, if not then they won't talk to each other and you won't get any picture. Try via component just to make sure the 2910/panel work that way.

Kalos Geros

The more I read about HDMI problems between different brand equipment, the more I'm happy I have decided to hold my horses until they sort the g.d-da.n HDMI stuff out!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom