• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question How to safely terminate cat 6 cable in home network?

eirerocks

Novice Member
Firstly, let me start by saying that I am an absolute novice when it comes to networking so apologies in advance for stupid questions...

Last month I was re-wiring my house and due to time pressures did not have a chance to properly research data cabling. I ended up installing cat6 F/UTP cable in walls and I now realize this was really dumb, as it's overkill, fussy and cat5e would have been fine, or even regular cat6 UTP. :(

Anyway, its done now and I cannot easily pull through new cables without quite a bit of destruction.

I was not planning on having a patch panel or anything complex. All i want is the ability to connect my router to a network faceplate in study where i have ran cables to faceplate in bedroom (for Playstation) and downstairs (TV room)

I have read a few things online about the need to use shielded keystone jacks / faceplates, mod plugs etc and ensure proper grounding of the drain wire that touches the foil shielding. I have also read that if you get the grounding wrong it can
a) really degrade the performance of the cables and
b) is dangerous from an overheating / risk of ground loops etc. and this is the bit I really do not understand.

Q. Anyone got any recommendations of company in London who I could pay to help me complete this job safely (with proper testing equipment to ensure its all good)

Q. Is there any best practice guidance around what needs to be in place when using shielded cat 6 in an residential basic network example with no patch panel. i.e. i hear one person say do not worry about grounding at all, others say ground one end, and some others say to ground all ends.
* at this point i do not mind that it will never reach the full potential of Cat 6 performance, but i do want it to be safe.

Q. Any recommendations or links to kit I should buy specifically would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'b) is dangerous from an overheating / risk of ground loops etc. and this is the bit I really do not understand.' - not sure where the overheating warning is coming from, that one I would ignore.

Working with FTP is not easy if DIY Networking is not you your thing.

We supply a few tools and happy to have a look at your plan and give some guidance - though with only a few terminations to accomplish I would suggest looking for a local company who undertake Office network installations or a friendly IT/Telecoms engineer.

Termination Kits Archives - The Media Factory

Joe

eirerocks

Novice Member
Hi Joe,

Working with FTP is not easy if DIY Networking is not you your thing.
Thanks for the quick reply. I am happy to pay an engineer to provide their expertise if i can find the right local company, but equally happy to give it a go as it's only a couple of terminations.

Termination Kits Archives - The Media Factory
Thanks for the link to your kits - they look good quality! I already have a Compact Ratcheting Modular Crimper which will hopefully suffice. When I asked about 'kit' I was really asking for advice or links to compatible faceplates and keystone jacks etc that work with cat 6 F/UTP.

The plan is really primitive (attached a crude drawing). I just need to have my ISP router connected to a faceplate in study which will link to bedroom next door, and down to living room. The cat6 FUTP cables have already been pulled into wall or else I would just replace with cat 5e and get on with my life :) - would love advice on shielding and grounding requirements for this configuration?

Cheers,
Peter

Network Plan cat6 FUTP 1.png

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Shielding and Grounding is only 'useful' in an environment where all components of the system have been designed to carry the shield/ground from device to device - that is never going to happen in a residential system unless you start to plan in additional grounding which your network panels, faceplates, routers etc do not provide

Termination - ideally you would have 'matching' plugs for the cable you have pulled.

As the cables are in the wall you are looking at Terminating the cables, hooking up the system and seeing how it goes.

Joe

eirerocks

Novice Member
Grand, so basically in my residential setup I will probably never be able to benefit from the shielding and grounding unless I implement proper steps and carry it through the entire system.

* at this point i do not mind that it will never reach the full potential of Cat 6 performance, but i do want it to be safe.
As above i really do not mind about performance not being what it could be if i were to follow the specification to a tee.

I will probably end up doing as you suggested Joe, and just terminate them with standard plugs / jacks and see how it goes. All i was concerned about was any potential safety issues with using the shielded cable in this way.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom