• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to Run In Speakers and why?

L

Lavace

Hey there,
I'd like to know WHY people run in their speakers (and exactly what it running in does/do?). Is it cause when the speakers come from the manufacturer, all parts are still stiff, so running them in will make the parts more flexible.

Is there a major difference after you've run them in?

Also, how do you run them in, and for how long? :confused:

Thanks all! I appreciate any answers :)

Lav.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Probably worth doing a quick search on it,but there are 2 ways to do this basically....either just use the speakers as normal,or face the speakers towards each other,one wired out of phase to the other,and run a signal through them(music) for a few days,before settling in to some proper listening.

Why....some speakers DO sound a lot better after several hours of use,and this is ofte put down to the materials the drivers are made of setttling into shape etc.....the end result is usually a smoother sound overall.

My B&Ws did benefit from this,but some dont.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I have a set of Quad 11L in one of my setups and quad recommend 50+ hours of running in.This is due to the driver cones being made from Kevlar which is a very strong material and needs this period of running in before the cones loosen up.Once run in the improvement in bass is quite marked.

L

Lavace

I see, how do you wire them out of phase?
I understand it all, but need help on this wiring :)?

Steve Zodiac

Wiring a pair of speakers "out of phase" is simply connecting one of the speakers the wrong way round, i.e., connect the positive from the amp/receiver to the negative on the speaker and connect the negative from the amp/receiver to the positive on the speaker. The other speaker is connected as normal - pos to pos and neg to neg.

Personally I would just use them wired correctly and they will sound that bit better with some use.

R

recruit

Personally I would just use them wired correctly and they will sound that bit better with some use.

agree with steve...this is the best way of running in the speakers so don't over complicate matters by reversing phase.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
also some speakers can take a little while to warm up even when run in....my MA speakers for example use metal based ceramic coated drivers, these get awfully cold at night when the temperature drops in winter (especially as the speakers are near windows)....and i dont have my radiator come on because the equipment in my room heats it up within minutes of having everything turned on..lol......anyhow, i notice with my GR10's especially that they like to be moving for about 20 minutes before they sound at their best.....likewise my MF A5 amp that powers them seems to enjoy itself most once its been in use for a good 30 minutes or so, or if it has been switched off for a while around 45 minutes or so it takes to get up to speed......
i tend to put some music on when i first get home or whatever and leave the room for a half hour or so and chill out downstairs, then come back up to listen :)

Coolit

Any idea how long an SVS 5.1 set takes to run-in? I know theres lots of people with these on the forum :)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I don't think the SVS speakers need a lot of running in,probably 20-30 hrs max.Although all speakers generally improve gradually as time goes by.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom