• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to rid the "letter box"

Zorba_8

Established Member
Hi all

Not sure why i've gone 13 months and not asked this, but how do I get rid of the letter box effect whilst watching DVDs (BR are OK and fills the screen lovely).

I can use the zoom facility on my TV remote to change the aspect of the picture, but how do i change the native aspect on the PS3 (Mk1) under video settings so that it automatically outputs in 16:9. Or am I missing something about the original recording of the DVD?

Hopefully I'm just being dim :D

MilkyJoe

Established Member
If you've got black bars, then this is how the DVD is recorded.... super-duper widescreen. Just keep doing what you are doing.

ben16v

Established Member
OT why you selling your 820? what colour is it and how much!?

Zorba_8

Established Member
Cheers!

There was me thinking the whole idea that widescreen TVs were introduced so that you wouldn't get the black bars compared to archaic 4:3 sets. Oh well!

cols

Prominent Member
Cheers!

There was me thinking the whole idea that widescreen TVs were introduced so that you wouldn't get the black bars compared to archaic 4:3 sets. Oh well!

some movies are in 2.4:1 - ie letterbox, some are in 1.8:1 - ie 16:9.

If you watch The Dark Knight you'll notice it is in both!

Best to just play the movie as it's meant to be, zooming or forcing it to fit your screen will mean you either miss stuff or the image gets stretched out of proportion. :smashin:

Zorba_8

Established Member
some movies are in 2.4:1 - ie letterbox, some are in 1.8:1 - ie 16:9.

If you watch The Dark Knight you'll notice it is in both!

Best to just play the movie as it's meant to be, zooming or forcing it to fit your screen will mean you either miss stuff or the image gets stretched out of proportion. :smashin:

I did notice that you do lose some of the quality when zooming in.

I have TDK on BR and there's no issues there, just a lovley 1080p sharp as you like image with no blury edges or strobing that i get on DVD playback.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
I agree with the above comments, i.e. you should watch it in the ratio set on the disc, BUT if you want to change it and dont want to switch the TV to zoom, then on the Upscale settings on the PS3 there are options, I think one of them is "FULL" I think this gives a full (cropped) picture?

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
I have TDK on BR and there's no issues there, just a lovley 1080p sharp as you like image with no blury edges or strobing that i get on DVD playback.

If your system is set right you should notice change in the screen rations, there is the occasional FULL SCREEN IMAX scene which are truly mind blowing, the rest is "letter box".

Zorba_8

Established Member
If your system is set right you should notice change in the screen rations, there is the occasional FULL SCREEN IMAX scene which are truly mind blowing, the rest is "letter box".

you've got me thinking now, but I am 99.99% sure that the entire film plays in full screen without me changing the LCD TV settings....will check when i get home :smashin:

A2a

Established Member
In the XMB under Video and DVD settings, silly question I guess, but what's the difference between 'Letterbox' and 'Pan and Scan' and which is best to set it to?

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
In the XMB under Video and DVD settings, silly question I guess, but what's the difference between 'Letterbox' and 'Pan and Scan' and which is best to set it to?

Letterbox. Pan and Scan is/was for old style TVs (4:3), it is a method for filling the screen ratio but loosing image at the sides.

Zorba_8

Established Member

I didn't know either, so thanks to Mattrix for clearing that up for us both. I'm sure we're not alone

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom