How to resolve low space disk problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Fa465665, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Fa465665

Fa465665
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello! I want to know how I can extend the C drive of my Windows 7 computer. Recently, I just receive low space disk notification on my C drive. But, there is still much unallocated space on the same physical drive. So, I want to know whether it is possible to extend C drive with the unallocated space. If it is possible, what should I do? Detailed steps will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,074
    Without extending the C drive look what you got in your Library this can take a lot of space up if it is move some to an other partition.

3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    Yes it's possible but best done with third party software and make sure you have backups beforehand do not skip this step as if anything goes wrong then you lose all your data.

It is very odd that your hard drive would have unallocated space, windows 7 installer by default should have used up all of it.

4. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    Disk Management found under Control Panel/System Tools should enable you to expand the c drive into any unallocated space. Alternatively us one of the free Easeus products.

5. Hazel465

Hazel465
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the unallocated drive space directly behind the C drive?

If so, you can back up your important data well and add all the unallocated space to your C drive simply by right clicking your C drive to highlight “Extend” option in Disk Management.

But, if the unallocated space is not behind the C drive, you may not use that “Extend” option since it may be grayed out and cannot work. Don’t worry! You also can use some partition resizing tool to take chances, like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free and EaseUS Partition Master, etc.

No matter which one you choose to use, you’d better firstly back up everything important in case of data loss.

6. simplicity96

simplicity96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +702
    Gparted will do what you ask just fine GParted -- A free application for graphically managing disk device partitions It is a bootable option so the storage volume isnt mounted at the time, unlike when done under windows disk management or such, which reduces the risk of any issues occurring with data corruption. As said back up your data but as long as used correctly you should have no issues with this.