How to remove white background on avatars

Beetlejuice

Just wondering if this is easy to do, and if so, could someone explain how to do it?

A couple of kind AVF'ers sorted out my last avatar for me so it didn't have the white box, instead it blended in (as below):

As I am sure you have guessed, I am wanting the picture I have now as my new avatar (for a while, at least :D)

You cut the white off, and make the image a PNG on two different layers.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Hardest part of that will be cutting around the overexposed side of the image where her body/bra blends in with the white background. The rest can be done with the magic wand in photoshop.

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
  1. Download Gimp
  2. Open image
  3. Open the 'Layer' menu, then select 'Transperency', then 'Add Alpha Channel'
  4. Use the 'Fuzzy Select' tool and the shift key to select all the white areas you wish to remove
  5. Go back to the 'Layer' menu, then 'Transparency', then 'Colour to Alpha'
  6. Click OK
  7. Save as .png

I think that should be it but it's been a while since I've made an image transparent.

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
I cheated with mine - I just took a sample of the AVF background and saved my image on that, so it "appears" to be clear ;)
Not really. Might be time to upgrade your monitor :p

Just went back to Gimp. I'm pretty sure what I posted is right. It helps if the image is simple and/or of a high resolution. Here's one I made earlier :D :

Copy of the original:

and with transparency:

(It looks better on a coloured background).

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Interesting. I don't see how it can be the monitor tho - considering I copied the forum background and put my avatar on top of it, it should be identical, no? I think they background has changed a tiny bit...

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
When I look down on my screen I can't tell the difference. But when sitting down your avatar's background looks darker than AVF's background.

edit- That being said I can notice a sight difference between AVF's background and the "transparent" background on the image I posted above. Interesting...

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
When I look down on my screen I can't tell the difference. But when sitting down your avatar's background looks darker than AVF's background.

edit- That being said I can notice a sight difference between AVF's background and the "transparent" background on the image I posted above. Interesting...
It certainly looks different on mine!! ;)

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
People do change their colour schemes, that's why it's best to use a transparency to accomodate all variants!

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Just wondering if this is easy to do, and if so, could someone explain how to do it?

A couple of kind AVF'ers sorted out my last avatar for me so it didn't have the white box, instead it blended in (as below):

As I am sure you have guessed, I am wanting the picture I have now as my new avatar (for a while, at least :D)

Will this do?

Attachments

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
The best thing about 32 bit PNG for transparency is that the alpha channel has 254 levels of transparency. So adding a drop shadow over the transparent back ground works well.

Whereas doing a GIF with a transparent background looks naff because a Gif transparency is either on or off so shadows pose gifs a serious issue.

You can see the difference when they're placed over a non-white background....

Attachments

Last edited:

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
The best thing about 32 bit PNG for transparency is that the alpha channel has 254 levels of transparency. So adding a drop shadow over the transparent back ground works well.

That looks really good. Not sure if there's a way to get that level of detail in Gimp though.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Well I just tried to do it (using Gimp on a Mac) and as you can see, I didn't fare too well. It seemed to remove all the white from behind it (including the white in the letters ESP) and then saved as PNG, opened in Preview and it appeard to have no background colour. Uploaded as avatar and it has a darker background than the forum background? :confused:

Original file

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Well I just tried to do it (using Gimp on a Mac) and as you can see, I didn't fare too well. It seemed to remove all the white from behind it (including the white in the letters ESP) and then saved as PNG, opened in Preview and it appeard to have no background colour. Uploaded as avatar and it has a darker background than the forum background? :confused:

Original file

I think the issue you have is that the image has artefacts introduced into it probably by JPG compression. If you zoom in and look at the "white" background, you'll find it's nothing of the sort....

So when a program selects "white" it'll select all the individual pixels that are white, and I think in this case it leaves the grey pixels behind, and this is what you're seeing as a slightly off-colour background.