How to remove uni-Q array from Kef Q6C?

gingerone

Hi I need to replace the tweeter on my kef Q6C but have tried and failed to see how I would get at it.
I know some people have replaced this and was hoping someone can tell me how to replace this?

Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: I should add that I want to take it out so that I can try and smooth out the tweeter that my kids squashed.

clarky78

As far as i know, people who have replaced them replace the whole UNi-Q unit as a whole, i doub't taking them a part is very easy due to it's design.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
clarky78 said:
As far as i know, people who have replaced them replace the whole UNi-Q unit as a whole, i doub't taking them a part is very easy due to it's design.
Agreed. I've had my Q5s and Q2ds apart, for the purposes of research you understand and I can see no way of detaching the tweeter. Even if you could detatch the tweeter, you cannot get behind the dome to push it out. Have you tried the vacuum cleaner method, using the smallest nozzle you can find to suck them out.
This works better with fabric/plastic domes but it may be worth trying.

If this fails, I recommend two courses of action. Buy a complete replacement unit and then, for a few pounds extra, have your children fitted with boxing gloves. Even after the novelty of knocking the sweet bejesus out of themselves has worn off, they still won't be able to get into your tweeters. It's either that, sell the children, or use the grills the speakers come with.

Russell

Helicon

Banned
Once a metal dome tweeter has been pushed in, it will never sound the same again, even if you push it out and it looks ok. It will never sound as smooth as it did, which given that it's the centre speaker, is all the more important.

You will have to replace it with a new one.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
The tweeter on the Uni-Q drive units is quite easily removed, I have done it many times. However you do not have access to the back of the diaphragm to push it back out. You can however get a replacement tweeter for very little money.

clarky78

I have run a damaged metal tweeter on MS10i's for 8 years without noticing the slightest difference.

Helicon

Banned
I had a damaged metal dome tweeter in a pair of Musical Fidelity Reference 2 speakers about 15 years ago. I pushed it back out, but it was never the same again. Also, after years in the retail business, you come across many tweeters damaged by the general public (another reason it costs more to run a store as oppsed to an internet site! Damages by the very people who moan about retailers prices!). Anyway, i have never heard a tweeter sound the same after it has been pushed in. And if it's been punctured, it's straight in the bin. But then i have been told i'm 'aurally' gifted :D

clarky78

You must have extremelly sensitive hearing. I can't tell the difference and neither none of my family and friends either. So i can assume the general person wouldn't even tell especiall if not told.

I would bet that if someone sat you down in front of a pair of speakers one with a damaged tweeter, and didn't tell you you wouldn't notice.

I think having ears that sensitive would bug me, i'd spend more time listening to faults than music, not to mention day to day life...

Helicon

Banned
Yes, it can be a curse.

I have noticed damaged tweeters before when others haven't, but i think most people haven't heard a damaged tweeter so they don't know what to listen for. A dented metal dome tweeter sounds very harsh and glassy, and will give you a headache after a while, or at least sound tiring to listen to. Pushing it back out gets rid of this, but it never sounds as smooth and gentle as it once was.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom