How To Remove the Red Tint on a 9G Kuro using a Harmony Remote

Hope you are enjoying your set mate. Sounds as though you have a good one if you are red tint free. Does sound like it was adjusted previously if your RSTP is at 1.

Who cares though if the pic is bang on. Do you have any side effects such as pixel misfires?

Meant to also ask how it compares to your old Panny V10?

The picture is great. The black level is much better than the V10 (even before the infamous black levels rising) and the picture looks more detailed. The V10 picture looked cleaner for SD signals, but that was because it wasn't showing as much detail. 4k on the nvidia Shield (downscale to 1080p on YouTube) looks amazing!

Hope you are enjoying your set mate. Sounds as though you have a good one if you are red tint free. Does sound like it was adjusted previously if your RSTP is at 1.

Who cares though if the pic is bang on. Do you have any side effects such as pixel misfires?

I'm not sure what you mean by pixel misfires, but when the screen first powers up there is what looks like black 'rain' for a moment, but as soon as the screen boots up its all good.

I'm not sure what you mean by pixel misfires, but when the screen first powers up there is what looks like black 'rain' for a moment, but as soon as the screen boots up its all good.
With my voltage adjustments, i will get occasional magenta pixel misfires (purple spots) on screen for a couple of seconds. I’ve lived with it for years and doesnt effect real world content 99% of the time. It is a side effect of the voltage adjustment.

The black rain on boot-up sounds like yours and if that is the only side effect - happy days 🙂

Motion was a bit better on the V10 I would say but in every other regard the Kuro is a belter. Even the famed THX mode didn't float my boat - was too sepia toned for me!

Anybody with experience of adjusting a KRP600 or 6090?

I got a KRP-600A (Nov/Dec 2008, 19.500 hours) and ended up with RSTP at 12 and SAD at 108 after a year of experimenting with weirdest parameter values. In combination with LED backlight I got nice blacks and no artifacts during motion picture. Only some magenta misfires when black bars remove for commercial breaks.

Magenta misfires commercial break:

Bought from first owner in February 2019 with 17.400 hours. First owner used it from June 2009 to January 2019.
IMG_3110.jpeg

First test in darkened living room with daylight falling in. It looked like it was free from red tint. Happy and hoping!

Original parameter levels after 17.400 hours and 9 1/2 years in use.
IMG_3138.jpeg

Pitch black apartment rooms revealed the notorious red tint. Damn!
IMG_3141.jpeg

IMG_3153.jpeg

Extreme tweaking achieved nice blacks...
IMG_3150.jpeg

IMG_3154.jpeg

...but also heavy artifacts.
IMG_3163.jpeg

As mentioned I ended up with original adjustment, only RSTP/SAD tweaked to 12/108 and LED multicolor backlight (dark blue seems best for blacks).
IMG_3243.jpeg

IMG_3850.jpeg

With backlight on, blacks are very good. New OLED TVs might be better and blacker but I'm quite satisfied with my old Kuro and enjoy the natural picture quality in Optimum Mode.

If you have any ideas for more perfect tweaking without magenta misfires after removing black bars, let me know. Setting RSTP at 1 caused nice blacks but also magenta misfires during motion picture, even though it was rarely.

I got a KRP-600A (Nov/Dec 2008, 19.500 hours) and ended up with RSTP at 12 and SAD at 108 after a year of experimenting with weirdest parameter values. In combination with LED backlight I got nice blacks and no artifacts during motion picture. Only some magenta misfires when black bars remove for commercial breaks.

Bought from first owner in February 2019 with 17.400 hours. First owner used it from June 2009 to January 2019.View attachment 1392928

First test in darkened living room with daylight falling in. It looked like it was free from red tint. Happy and hoping!

View attachment 1392947

View attachment 1392954
View attachment 1392955

View attachment 1392958
View attachment 1392959

View attachment 1392966

As mentioned I ended up with original adjustment, only RSTP/SAD tweaked to 12/108 and LED multicolor backlight (dark blue seems best for blacks).
View attachment 1392981
View attachment 1392982

With backlight on, blacks are very good. New OLED TVs might be better and blacker but I'm quite satisfied with my old Kuro and enjoy the natural picture quality in Optimum Mode.

If you have any ideas for more perfect tweaking without magenta misfires after removing black bars, let me know. Setting RSTP at 1 caused nice blacks but also magenta misfires during motion picture, even though it was rarely.

What's that program you are using to adjust the values and where did you get it from?
Thanks

Hi Basseck

Thanks for your post. You have experinced excatly what I did when adjusting. My KRP600a has the RSTP set to 5 and everything else is standard.

Still very get occasional hints of red and occasional megnenta misfires but 95% of the time it looks fantastic.

Bought from first owner in February 2019 with 17.400 hours. First owner used it from June 2009 to January 2019.View attachment 1392928

View attachment 1392947

View attachment 1392954
View attachment 1392955

View attachment 1392958
View attachment 1392959

View attachment 1392966

View attachment 1392981
View attachment 1392982

Optimum mode is hideous

Optimum mode is hideous

Think that's what is where everything is basically set to max... ?? Not played with a kuro for yrs after sold my krp600 and got panny oled..and the kuro in front room has been left untouched.. always used movie or pure mode as felt they were most realistic... but each to their own..

What's that program you are using to adjust the values and where did you get it from?
Thanks

I got it from the German Hifi-Forum by user GF21. The program is called KuroEdit and works for the KRP-500A/600A and PDP-5090/6090 models. For the KRP-500M/600M models he developed KuroReader.

Last edited:
That's Dynamic Mode. Optimum Mode is where the TV adjusts all parameters automatically by information of the room light sensor and picture signal.

Oh ok... said it was a long time ago I last went into the menus in general..?? :facepalm:
Do you not get on with movie or pure mode..??

Movie and pure mode are fine in dark rooms. I would say optimum mode in a dark room is like pure mode just with a little more pop. In bright rooms I clearly prefer optimum mode. Movie and pure mode sometimes look a bit washed-out by sunny daylight.

I can now enter the service menu, however I do not see a setting for YKNOFSA D. The only settings I see are VOL SUS, VOL OFFSET, VOL RSTP, XPOFS1, XPOFS2 YNOFS1, YNOFS3, YNOFS4. Does anyone know which would be best to adjust to remove the red tint issue?

Thanks

That's Dynamic Mode. Optimum Mode is where the TV adjusts all parameters automatically by information of the room light sensor and picture signal.
as any calibrator will tell you, bin that sensor

I can now enter the service menu, however I do not see a setting for YKNOFSA D. The only settings I see are VOL SUS, VOL OFFSET, VOL RSTP, XPOFS1, XPOFS2 YNOFS1, YNOFS3, YNOFS4. Does anyone know which would be best to adjust to remove the red tint issue?

Thanks

SUS and OFFSET seem to have no effect on removing the red tint. So in your case change RSTP and/or NOFS1/S3/S4. Lowering RSTP can reduce the red tint significantly but it will also cause the pixels to wake up more slowly when black bars remove.

Hello all, I purchased a remote from eBay as I thought that would be the easiest way to access the service menu. As per the sellers advice I press the 's' button and I get a screen which appears to be in the service menu but I cannot see panel factory +
Edit - ignore me. I read the instructions again and got into the voltages :)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I am having some trouble of fixing my KRP-600A. I have the red tint glow on the plasma and I really want to get rid of it and to have the OLED blacks like everyone else. I was lowering the ,VOL RST P, VOL YKNOFS1 D, VOL YKNOFS3 D, VOL YKNOFS4 D, but I reached a point where I got stocked and even if I lower the voltages, I have deeper black only in the center of the screen, and on the edges there is a mess and that's why I need an expert to help me. Can someone please help me with values to fix this?

My KRP-600A has 18k hours.

Thank you very much!

You will not get OLED blacks from a Plasma, you will get very deep blacks, A 600 will not go as low as a 500, I had a 2 500A's and 1 was adjusted I have an OLED now and the blacks on the OLED batter the 500A, no matter what anyone has to say, this is all. :)

Hi guys,

I am having some trouble of fixing my KRP-600A. I have the red tint glow on the plasma and I really want to get rid of it and to have the OLED blacks like everyone else. I was lowering the ,VOL RST P, VOL YKNOFS1 D, VOL YKNOFS3 D, VOL YKNOFS4 D, but I reached a point where I got stocked and even if I lower the voltages, I have deeper black only in the center of the screen, and on the edges there is a mess and that's why I need an expert to help me. Can someone please help me with values to fix this?

My KRP-600A has 18k hours.

Thank you very much!

You won't get anything approaching "OLED Blacks" on an 18K old 60" Kuro without a reset.
However this comes with it's own pitfalls post reset as the panel has to be nursed back to optimum operating condition with periodical voltage tweaks and a total redo of the Service Menu White Point.
I would strongly advise against it.

Instead set the the panel back to default voltage settings:

VOL SUS: 128
VOL OFFSET: 068
VOL RST P: 053
VOL XPOFS1: 105
VOL XPOFS2: 063
VOL YKNOFS1 D: 086
VOL YKNOFS3 D: 096
VOL YKNOFS4 D: 143

VOL YKNOFSA D: 128

Try tweaking only RST P down to 1 first and see how that goes..and start raising it until you are rid of any artifacts, pixel lag etc.

Otherwise save up for an OLED..

You won't get anything approaching "OLED Blacks" on an 18K old 60" Kuro without a reset.
However this comes with it's own pitfalls post reset as the panel has to be nursed back to optimum operating condition with periodical voltage tweaks and a total redo of the Service Menu White Point.
I would strongly advise against it.

Instead set the the panel back to default voltage settings:

VOL SUS: 128
VOL OFFSET: 068
VOL RST P: 053
VOL XPOFS1: 105
VOL XPOFS2: 063
VOL YKNOFS1 D: 086
VOL YKNOFS3 D: 096
VOL YKNOFS4 D: 143

VOL YKNOFSA D: 128

Try tweaking only RST P down to 1 first and see how that goes..and start raising it until you are rid of any artifacts, pixel lag etc.

Otherwise save up for an OLED..

Thank you very much for your post.
I understood that it's not possible to do a panel reset for 60" Kuros.

I put the values from the attached picture which are the values from the "Basseck" user, which has a KRP-600A with working hours almost like mine, but the result is not the same for me. The magenta misfires are more visible for me.

Now I put the default values from you and then I am adjusting the RSTP to see what will happen.

If you or anyone has any suggestion or values for me, please let me know.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_3150.jpeg
    IMG_3150.jpeg
    520.1 KB · Views: 113
Thank you very much for your post.
I understood that it's not possible to do a panel reset for 60" Kuros.

I put the values from the attached picture which are the values from the "Basseck" user, which has a KRP-600A with working hours almost like mine, but the result is not the same for me. The magenta misfires are more visible for me.

Now I put the default values from you and then I am adjusting the RSTP to see what will happen.

If you or anyone has any suggestion or values for me, please let me know.

Cheers!

You're welcome kurofan1.

So, no two panels are the same - what works for one doesn't always work for another as they would have different use/wear patterns over their life.

Also Basseck's post clearly states that in the end:

and ended up with RSTP at 12 and SAD at 108 after a year of experimenting with weirdest parameter values

So RSTP at 12 and SAD at 108 are the only two voltages he changed.

Adjusting S1, S3 and S4 independently of each other can stuff up your gamma/brightness. They are set in a ratio towards each other and are all controlled by the global SAD voltage, so it's generally advised to only use SAD.

You can try altering those two voltages - they both lower black level but only RSTP gets rid of red tint.
Also often lowering both too much will result in red pixel lag so if you're lowering RSTP to 1 then you usually have to leave SAD at default of 128. You can compromise a little as Basseck did and not have
RSTP so low, say at 10, and reduce SAD by only 5-10 clicks.

HTH.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom