How to remove the Elys2 cartridge from the Rega Planar 3

wate49

Novice Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows how to remove the Elys2 cartridge that comes pre-installed with the Rega Planar 3? I wanted to replace the Elys2 with the Nakaoga MP-110. It seems the 3 bolts attached are not a typical type I can remove with my Philips screwdriver. Any particular tools needed?
Thank you,
Watee

Judging by photos I can find on the Rega site and other places (and not personal experience), it looks like the main two need a nut driver (or fine nose pliers) and an Allen key/hex key/hex bit, and the third one (at the front) needs just an Allen key/hex key/hex bit?

D92E1717-A1EA-4645-802F-5A9280A64BDB.jpeg

I think the 2 bolts that come from the bottom-up use the same allen key as the front one.

This is the RP6, but shows the process.

The front screw is the same as the other 2 just reversed. Just an Allen key and small spanner/pliers required so very simple really, I have no idea why a Phillips screwdriver is on your mind.

Please be aware you will need to align the cartridge to a gauge for correct alignment, Baerwald, Stevenson etc. If you don't do this expect high distortion and poor sound quality.

If you're struggling with simply removing the cartridge then I suggest you have a read up on cartridge alignment before you go any further...

Thanks all for the suggestions. I could easily replace the cartridge on my previous AT LP3. Just got the P3 and the tone arm and the attached Elys2 are different that’s why I wanted to ask and make sure before I did any harm to it.

The front screw is the same as the other 2 just reversed. Just an Allen key and small spanner/pliers required so very simple really, I have no idea why a Phillips screwdriver is on your mind.

Please be aware you will need to align the cartridge to a gauge for correct alignment, Baerwald, Stevenson etc. If you don't do this expect high distortion and poor sound quality.
The Rega 3-point fitting makes alignment a bit easier, but you're right - it'll still probably need a small tweak to get the best out of it. Plus tracking weight & anti-skate.

The Rega 3-point fitting makes alignment a bit easier, but you're right - it'll still probably need a small tweak to get the best out of it. Plus tracking weight & anti-skate.
But the MP110 the OP wants to fit doesn't have 3 point fixing. Agree on tracking weight and anti-skate though.

It just fixes on with the two supied bolts but you will need to align it with a protractor as well as set the weight and tracking.

But the MP110 the OP wants to fit doesn't have 3 point fixing. Agree on tracking weight and anti-skate though.
Bugger!!! You're right - my bad...... I totally forgot - too wrapped up in finding a video on the Rega carts..... :facepalm: :D

My Rega Planer P2 Came with a Carbon Cartridge and I have now bought a Rega Elys 2 to replace it but I have noticed on the wiring diagram that the Carbon is
White Red +
Blue Green -
Looking from the back and the Elys 2 is
Red White +
Green Blue -
When fitting the new elys 2 do i use the
Red White +
Green Blue -
Connections ??? as stated on the instructions that is the reverse of the carbon cartridge connections this is my first time at changing a cartridge Thanks Dan.

Attachments

• IMG_1448.PNG
    IMG_1448.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1521.JPG
    IMG_1521.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1526.PNG
    IMG_1526.PNG
    286.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1527.PNG
    IMG_1527.PNG