1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to remove the "24 bit" effect on LG 42px11

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Namspt, May 5, 2005.

1. Namspt

Namspt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I just bought the "LG 42px11". Although I am very pleased with the image on TV signal, the image on DVD is rather disappoiting. Every thing would be good if not for the "24 bit" effect that I am getting. I don't know the exact term, but I´m refering to a kind of solarization of the image. It kind of blurs...

How do I minimize this effect? What are the best settings to produce the best picture to every conditions?

I hope somebody can help me.

Thanks,

Nuno

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    suggest you look in the big LG thread......could be you have old firmware..should be 5.13 i think

3. jedi-knight

jedi-knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    yeah image looks is a bit like as if there not enough colours on the panel so you end up with a crap looking image on dark or cloudy areas.

like a monochrome image using ms paint

if you figure how to get rid of this please let me know.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The ones I have seen all look like that, posterization, call it what you like. I daresay the LG fan club will be along to say theirs doesn't do it. Check your firmware version, you might be lucky and find that you have old firmware.

5. Namspt

Namspt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I check my firmware? And if I happen to have an old one, how do I update it?

Many Thanks

6. zorg

zorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    press and hold the menu button on the remote and the tv at the same time for about 15-20 seconds, this will take you into the service menu, it will tell you in there, also switch off the xd engine ,its crap!

z

7. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't recall any (many?) LG owners that claim that there is NO solarization/posterization.

For my part, I certainly DO see solarization/posterization - what I have said is that it is hardly any worse than any other screen that I've ever seen using digital processing somewhere in the chain (either as a source DVD / digital STB, or processing within the set itself).

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ah, Sir Robin! No, you personally have not mentioned solarization IIRC, but I'd beg to differ about it's presence to the same degree on other plasmas, but let's be fair here, the others, like for like, will cost you a bit more. Something like the Pioneer MXE or F/XDE will show no solarization at all unless the source is very poor, like VHS. PW panasonics do, but usually very fleetingly where there is a very obvious gradation from full brightness to dark in a scene. PHD pannys don't, but then for £2.6 k for a panel, you'd be pretty upset if it did.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ah and dont forget firmware 5.20 is now available so you best pack all your panel up again and get them sent away for another firmware upgrade..........(constant firmware revisions do not improve the quality just reduce the effects of them Ballsing it up first time round...) The answer to the original question is simple................................

10. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have to admit, I am on my 2nd PX11 now, the new one is firmware 5.20 and I am certainly seeing the '24-bit' effect on skin tones. It is almost like they have a plastic face ?

I am now connected using a good scart cable from my NTL digibox. Never noticed this on my last PX11 which was 5.13, but then I was connecting via an aerial so the PQ was not all that good because of that.

Sometimes I wish I never found this forum because I am noticing things that I never noticed before and I find myself looking for problems with PQ instead of watching what is on the screen ! LOL !

11. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I don't know if it is my eyes but I am sure I didn't see this on the first PX11 that I had.

Unsure as to what to do about this now ? I am only 2 weeks into my 28 day money back period so I am can get a refund if needed. Not sure if it is going to go that far yet but it is a little annoying when I am watching NTL and all I notice is this 'issue'.

What do I do ?

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well you could buy a better plasma...................

13. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If you can recommend a good plasma TV for around £1300 then I am open to suggestions.

For that price there doesn't seem to be anything else around.

The problem I have is that I want a TV and not a panel.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    that "is" a problem......................closest is the Panny PE50.....suggest you have a good look at one before deciding (also ntl wont be helping)

15. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am going to see what the Xbox and PS2 look like using component. I am waiting for the cables to be delivered before I make any decisions.

If I still get this problem then I am going to have to rethink.

16. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm... well, there are reports that the average human needs a 1% change in brightness to distinguish between two shades of gray. That puts the amount of distinct shades that an average person can distinguish at around 100. And that is under ideal conditions!

256 shades (as is represented by 24-bit colour) is in excess of that, and so for most people should be all that is necessary.

As MAW demonstrated with his comparison of PWD and PHD screens, spatial resolution - particularly in real world scenarios - is generally more important than colour depth (assuming a 24-bit minimum). Because the lower the resolution, the larger area that a single pixel has to represent, averaging out the brightness / colour across that area. So even with a very, very large colour depth, for a large transition across a short area the diffference between each pixel is much larger than the small differences that can theoretically be represented - a difference that may be large enough to be distinguishable.

Depending on the colour transition / overall scene, YUV and MPEG encoding doesn't really help either. With increasingly synthetic examples - ie. a gradual transition of brightness (not colour) across the entire display - greater colour depths become more important.

Note that I'm not saying this as a defense to the LG, or to say that it can't be improved on. But colour depth alone is not the villain that it's often made out to be. Improving the processing, spatial resolution and source quality have far more 'real' benefits than (just) improving colour depth.

17. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I think the problem is the NTL source, my pace box (an early one) only has s-video output and the pq is pants on my LG, badly pixelated on most channels due to compression. I used to have a sony 32" CRT and it was ok on that because the screen is smaller so the artifacts are less noticable. I now use a HTPC connected via DVI running at 1920x1080 using dual freeview cards and mce2005, the pq is amazing is just amazing. Comparing the same channel on NTL to Freeview by switching between them, freeview has far less pixelation. This was noticable during the recent snooker, where the score display on ntl suffered badly, but on freeview it was very crisp. The overall freeview experience is much better.

18. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    mannyo, cheers for your post. Makes me feel better. I bought a good scart lead to connect NTL to the LG and I think that might be emphasising the pixelation more maybe.

Would I have the same problem if I was using Sky+ ? As I am thinking of changing from NTL to Sky+ in the next month or so.

Also, I now see what some people were complaining about with watching football. The pitch looks like a pixelation mess to me.

I am using the 2nd NTL digibox in my bedroom to run this, not sure if the quality is going to be worse because I am using multiroom ?

19. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SKY+ does deliver a better picture compared to NTL, but some channels still suffer from badly encoded pictures. If you have watched F1 today then flick over to SUPERBIKES on Eurosport later, the difference is ridiculous.

Still seems strange that LG have upgraded to 5.20 in such a small space of time and the picture has suffered in the process. Have you thought about ringing LG to see what they have to say on the matter?

20. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I might just do that DOC, see what they have to say about it. I don't think I noticed it before because of the way I was connecting up NTL.

I have 2 weeks left to make a decision as to what I am going to do with the LG.

21. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well saying that about SuperBikes, the picture is very good.... :smashin:

I was getting mixed up with MOTOGP, which was last weekend...

But have a look at the BTCC on MOTORSTV, now that's a bad signal... :rotfl: :eek: Bloody good races though, much more exciting than F1 :thumbsup:

22. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am swaying towards sending the LG back at the moment. There are a few programs on TV tonight and if I notice the pixelation more than the actual program then it is going back. May sound a bit extreme but after speaking to a few other people on the forums, I just want a plasma TV that I don't have to keep messing around with to get a good PQ that allows me to enjoy what I am watching.

I don't think I am asking too much ? Or am I ?

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Daipac depends on what you see as being good enough PQ for £1300 (remeber your paying for it being less than 4" deep

24. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Daipac, if you feal that way send it back or complain to LG.

For over a £1000 I would be miffed if my picure was that bad.

Could you post up a picture of the pixelation, it could just be down to NTL !

Do you also get it on DVD's ?

25. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My budget is around £1600, that is my absolute maximum and it seems there is nothing else out there at the moment which I can get for that price ? The PE50 looks a good alternative but it doesn't have a VGA input which I would like. I could live without it but then it may be worth waiting for HDMI but then I doubt I could get a good screen for £1600 with HDMI ?

DOC, I will try and post up a pic tonight but I only have a camera phone and that is noto going to be very good, I will give it a go and see what the quality is like.

I watched a DVD last night on my PS2 and there was less pixelation so it may be down to NTL. I am waiting for my component leads to turn up so I can test the PS2 and Xbox then to see if it is the screen or NTL.

26. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    When I had this effect on my Sams*ng, I put it down to greyscale (256 colours). It completely did my head in. I changed to PWD6 (1024 colours) and whilst I can still just notice it, it no longer bothers me. The PWD7 has (I believe) 2048.

Dai, bite the bullet, get a PWD7 and put yourself out of your misery.

27. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Seems to be the norm that channels thru Sky are better or worse regardless what screen you have and how its connected.

Yesterday F1 on ITV looked great as well as the Arsenal/Liverpool game on SkySports and as you switched to watch some BTCC on MotorsTV and the quality was crap!

28. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    John, as I said above, I can't go for a panel, I want a TV. A panel would be totally and utterly impractical for where I want it to go mounted.

29. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OK, just been playing GTA San Andreas on the PS2 using the standard PS2 cables and the PQ is much better than that of NTL. I still have the component cables to connect up so I am expecting a great PQ from the PS2 when it is connected up as I want it to be.