1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to remote control screen??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uksteve69, Sep 17, 2003.

1. uksteve69

uksteve69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered a 6 foot OWL screen through the powerbuy which should be with me soon. My question is, how can I remotely operate it without spending £220 on the RF kit?
    I know some of you have used X10, I know nothing about X10 and have had a look on the letsautomate site but it all seems confusing. Exactly what bits of kit would I require?
    Are there any other methods available?

Cheers

2. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    For X10, assuming you've got a Pronto or similiar, you'll need one of these

IR7243

And one of these ....

SW10G

Then you start adding light controls and the wife starts wondering why the lights flash when you get an Email - or it that just mine :laugh: :laugh:

Cheers

Kevin.

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the same shutter switch and an X10 plug and play starter kit.

Cost me about £85 but I can also switch my lamp and turn the tv off at the mains as it interferes with the pj when on standby.

I plan to get a controller for my sub too as it's a pain to switch off and perhaps my kettle!

The ir unit should also work with a Mosaic remote (£60 form RS and similar to pronto) as the codes are built in.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If PJ or receiver has a 12v screen "trigger", simple matter of a bit of wiring & a 12/240v relay.

Total cost < £5 :eek:

That's how I've managed with mine - select the "HCPC" input on my Denon 3803 (with 12v trigger) & down comes the screen. Any other input/switch off receiver & up she goes.

:smoke:

5. TwistedPear

TwistedPear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Kramer, I like the sound of what you have done. Where did you get the relay (maplin?) do you have a product ref by chance?

When I put my screen together, I got Quasar Electronics to bash an RF relay based switch together for me - it cost me £38.95 inc postage at the time have a look at http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3082.htm - it is an RF based switch, which I can't hook into my Pronto. Thats why Kramer's idea interests me.

Good luck

6. uksteve69

uksteve69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the advice. Haven't got a 12V trigger on my Z1 so will go the X10 route I think. My OFA Kameleon remote has codes for X10 so I should be ok.
    Calscot, how easy is it to wire up the OWL screen to the X10 switch. I mean are there terminals on the screen casing saying Up input / Down input etc or is there more to it than that?

Cheers

7. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen has a power cable with four wires. You need a cable to the mains from the switch also.

Here's a wiring diagram.

You may want to swap the up and down wires as in this configuration "off" makes the screen go down and "on" makes it go up.

[​IMG]

8. uksteve69

uksteve69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers calscot, just what I'm after!. Just waiting for my screen to arrive!

9. Kitch

Kitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    hi

kramer could you point me in the right direction as to the type of relay i need
    i'll be using my denon3803 12v trigger

cheers

kitch

10. uksteve69

uksteve69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update
    Had my screen a while but have unfortunately had to wait over a month for the SW10G switch due to none being in stock at simplyautomate or letsautomate. Finally found some in stock at intellihome and it took only 2 days to arrive!! I can finally put the floorboards back down in the bedroom now :D

11. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking of buying from Maplins their mains remote controller, which has 2 mains adapter receivers into each a 3 pin plug can be plugged in and a remote. It would mean wiring the screen wires to 2 different 3 pin plugs and using one for down & the other for up, this would cost 29.99 a cheap option. I am not fully sure it would work but will try it as soon as Maplins have stock.

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Kramer,
    The bloke I've been corresponding with regarding installing my forthcoming Z2 and screen mentioned something about this 12v trigger. I assume I have one on my Denon AVC-A1SE but I can't find anything about it in the instructions. Can you configure a certain input to trigger the screen to come down then? It seems like the neatest solution although I would sometimes want the screen down for TV e.g. for football, how would that work if I only wanted to use the screen for TV occasionally?

Cheers,
    Andy

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys, missed the questions on this one :blush:

12/240v relay I finally sourced from work. Don't know what it's from etc.. but it works fine. I'm sure (with hindsight) that most DPDT 12/240v relays will work fine. Certainly worth getting one from Maplin etc. & giving it a go.

Actually, the one I used looked remarkably like one I considered in Maplins (probably identical - generic jobbie).

Works a treat. Designate which source (s) you want & when selected the screen automatically lowers.

Change source or switch off the receiver & up she goes!

Word of warning:

I wouldn't recommend messing with this stuff UNLESS you're confident you know what you are doing. As well as the risk of electrocution (240v), also risks of damaging screen, expensive receiver & potentially a fire hazard.

Be careful :)