How to reintegrate sub-signal with stereo-signal ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kennrc, Jan 13, 2003.

1. kennrc

kennrc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi !

I have a Sony STR-DB1080QS DTS reciever, to which I want to connect an ordinary stereo-amp for music in a 2nd room.

The reciever has pre-out terminals, which I use for this purpose. The terminals are:

Front Left, Front Right, Subwoofer, Surround left, surround right. The reciever and the amp is connected by the front left/right phono terminals.

The bass is however lacking in the 2nd room, because the low frequencies has been cut off by the reciever and output through the subwoofer terminal.

I'm have thought about soldering a kind og "Y"-phonocable, which will physically connect the sobwoofer signal and ground/shielding with both the front left AND front right signal.

Is it possible the re-integrate the sub-signal in the standard stereo-phono-connection, in this way ??

regards
    Kenn, Denmark

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    You shouldn't do this as you will effectively be shorting the left and right outputs of the amp.

The Amp will hopefully then cutout rather than fizzling and smoldering as the blue smoke escapes from some vital component or other.

Victoria

3. kennrc

kennrc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your answer. I guess you're right ;)

What about connecting the reciever's front left out, subwoofer out and the stereo-amps left in - by a Y-phono-cable.

The Front right out will be ordinarily connected to the stereo amps right in.

Like this:

Front Left out --------|
    ..............................|---------> Stereo amp. left in.
    Subwoofer out -------|

Front right out ------------------> Stereo amp. right in

Will this short-curcit the amp ?

Will the bass be notisably lacking from the right side - or will the non-directional properties of low-frequency bass minimize this problem ?

Regards
    Kenn, Denmark

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Does your receiver not have an auxiliary or tape output?...if it does,it's very likely that this will not have been subject to LFE processing via the amp,and may be the answer...the other solutions you propose are at best a bit dodgy,and at worst will result in expensive smoke!