Quantcast

Question How to reduce lumens? ND filter ? :)

sorgesana12

Novice Member
Hi everyone, i'm Marco from Italy, thanks for this amazing forum!

I have a question.. I just bought an Acer H6519ABD, it's stunnig but it has 3400 ANSI lumen and in Eco Mode 2720 ANSI lumen, in the dark it is too bright for me and I have little pain with my eyes after 30 minutes. I searched a bit on google and someone advised to add a ND filter.

I bought a cheap kit from Neewer of ND2 ND4 ND8 82mm. The size it fit perfect and i found the best for reduce lumens is the ND2.

The problem is that with this filters the whites are magenta, the black are grays and seems to lose the contrast rather than gain a little.. I tried to adjust the various parameters like contrast, brightness but that didn't help me at all.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with lumen reduction or and can advise me some good filters not so expensive (less than 80$).

Thank you

Distinguished Member
The problem is that with this filters the whites are magenta, the black are grays and seems to lose the contrast rather than gain a little.. I tried to adjust the various parameters like contrast, brightness but that didn't help me at all.
That doesn't sound right at all, an ND filter shouldn't alter the colour of light and your blacks should look darker giving the illusion of more contrast. It's been a while since i used one so cannot recommend any in particular but be sure that you get a glass one. Don't ask how i know :facepalm:

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Cheap non coated glass filters or resin/plastic filters will often have the effects you describe, so don't use them. Good quality coated glass filters like Hoya HMC filters are pretty much invisible in use so use those instead. There are other quality brands but I've always used Hoya HMCs with no visible issues, and the measurable effects are negligible.

sorgesana12

Novice Member
Cheap non coated glass filters or resin/plastic filters will often have the effects you describe, so don't use them. Good quality coated glass filters like Hoya HMC filters are pretty much invisible in use so use those instead. There are other quality brands but I've always used Hoya HMCs with no visible issues, and the measurable effects are negligible.
Thank you Peter Parker , Do you use ND2?

494930 thanks for you comment :)

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Thank you Peter Parker , Do you use ND2?

494930 thanks for you comment :)
I have done, but usually I have used an FL-Day filter which has a similar effect but also allows more on/'off contrast after recalibration (compared to calibration without the filter). Some people use both an FL-Day and an ND2 at the same time.

Last edited:

Stridsvognen

The good filters are normaly expensive specially in the big sizes, the cheap one normaly do more harm than good, as you notice with trowing off the colors, there is also quite big tolerances on how much light reduction you get with a ND2 filter, 2 different series from HOYA can have quite a big difference in filter effect.

Did you calibrate the projector/ balance the white point.? that might reduce your lightoutput significantly.

Stridsvognen

The best option is to get a projector that matches the desired purpose without having to add filter, there is always a side effect to add more elements to the optical path, however some projectors might be so poor quality that you dont notice the difference.

And like with optical lenses, its normaly fairly expensive to get good quality optical elements.

Top Bottom