How to rectify this paint mistake? Flaking paint

zed4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Yes, it's yet another DIY question from me!

The other day I painted the lounge, it looked really good and I was really pleased with it. That evening my girlfriend said she was going to paint the downstairs toilet room. I said not to because it was too late and was going to take too long. She decided to do it anyway on her own!

During the process, I handed her my various rollers and asked her to use up the remaining paint on her walls. She then rolled them out on the walls she wasn't currently working on and handed them back to me. There were huge runs and blobs of paint where she had rolled them against the wall. I did say for her to roll them in before they dry, but I was interfering apparently!

Anyway, later that evening she's finished and I have a look. Most of the room looks great, but the runs and huge blobs of paint are still there and now dry. So two days later, I'm left with the task of getting rid of these blobs. Only they won't sand down, because under the blobs the paint is not completely set. It just makes a mess. Then the paint just starts peeling off the wall in areas I'm sanding. I guess I should have waited until the paint was completely dry but I thought two days would have been enough.

Eventually I manage to peel back the flaking paint and remove all the blobs, but now I'm left with huge patches of bare wall. Whilst I was in the shower this morning my girlfriend had decided to paint over said bare patches so it looked better. But it's really obvious where these bare patches were. See photos. So what can we do to make these look better? Is it a case of having to remove all the new paint completely, rub down the old paint until smooth and then start again with the painting?

This room has been a nightmare of a job! The lounge is about five times the size and was much easier!

IMG_2419.jpg
IMG_2420.jpg
IMG_2421.jpg

As a first try I'd take some extremely fine sandpaper to it (particularly around the edges), smooth it out then paint again.

If that doesn't work, then over-fill it and then sand down and paint. This might not be the best option though and others may suggest skimming it yourself

I had mild damp issues in a room that did the same style of peeling, is there any possibility of that being an issue?

I had mild damp issues in a room that did the same style of peeling, is there any possibility of that being an issue?

Well I did wonder if the peeling was due to the fact she may have been a bit OTT with the sugarsoap and painted over the wall whilst it was still damp/soapy. I can’t be sure. The rest of the room seems to be ok. It was just where there were blobs and runs in the paint. I tried to get rid of them and the paint started peeling.

It may have just been because it hadn't set properly

As @jassco suggest i'd try some really fine sandpaper and see if i could blend it in - especially the edges to see if it can be feathered in. Failing that i'd skim that section with some filler, and again feather out when dry.

In the middle of the wall. It plasterboard, over blocks.
Is it directly onto plasterboard or has it been plastered? If the former then it absolutely has to be bone dry to sand down so ensure no moisture etc.

I'd wait for it to all dry, sand the wall down and start from scratch. Don't let the missus near the paint again!

A very similar thing happened to me. The way I fixed it was fine polyfilla type stuff then sanded it back and looks good now

take a pencil mark about 3mm outside of the patch , then paint the patch 3 times not going outside of the line , wait for the paint to fully dry and then sand with a block then overpaint.

Or large filler knife, and use a superfine filler then block it of with sandpaper then repaint.

Thanks all. I'm putting the third coat on the patches this evening. It looks better, but definitely not perfect! We'll wait for the paint to harden and then try lightly rubbing it down smooth, then repaint the entire wall again. See how that looks. Otherwise it's a harder sand, and then skim fill.

I would Sand it with 80 grit first and then skim, sand and then paint.

Paint over the skim with a watered down coat first.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom