• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question How to record from one audio tape device to another?

drpeppercan

Novice Member
My grandma wants to copy parts of different audio tapes to one final tape.
I believe she only has a boombox with one tape player.
If I were to buy another one, could I connect them with a 3.5 plugs cable, from the output socket to the mic?

Thanks guys

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
A headphone output will almost certainly produce too much voltage for a microphone input to handle - and you will get a highly distorted end result. You may be able to control it by hugely reducing volume, but mt expectations of the outcome of such an approach would be very low - poor quality sound and/or high levels of background noise, etc.

Ideally you would be looking for (what are called) "line level" ins and outs. These are most often seen as a pair of RCA sockets. But without knowing more about the exact equipment it's hard to be specific. Box 1 (playback) Line out to Box 2 (record) Line in.......

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
If this is a one-off then rather than buy a second tape device, record the bits you want to PC with something like Audacity. You can then manipulate/edit as necessary & then record from the PC back to tape or burn a CD.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom