how to record a catchup programme

Rodski

Novice Member
Reaction score
hi all, I’m trying to find out how to record from catchup services such as More4, ITV player, iPlayer in order to keep the programme on a hard drive or DVD long term. I have the apps on my smart TV and firestick, but is it possible to capture the signal to a PVR so I can record it? I don’t mind doing it manually. Thx!

Catchup streams are not recordable by PVR's unfortunately.

I have recorded iPlayer from a BT Youview box connected to a DVD recorder with a scart connection. Doesn’t work with the UHD version of the box as there is no scart.

I have recorded iPlayer from a BT Youview box connected to a DVD recorder with a scart connection. Doesn’t work with the UHD version of the box as there is no scart.

SCART? On thats so yesterday. Its also not supposed to be done, although I admit its a grey area.

SCART? On thats so yesterday. Its also not supposed to be done, although I admit its a grey area.
Why such a pompous response? The OP asked whether it can be done, you said it can’t and I explained how it can. As for “rules” LOL.

Why such a pompous response? The OP asked whether it can be done, you said it can’t and I explained how it can. As for “rules” LOL.

That wasn't so. But hey look, if you want to watch sub SD standard recordings on playback then knock yourself out. I just use the HD PVR.

No, the rules for SKY are the same as everyone else. One can't record catch up TV. I think your talking abut On Demand, dave.
You are wrong may I suggest you actually check on a Sky box - "Catchup " has its own tab on an HD+ and lists all catchup and on demand content and all items can be recorded. It is a by product of the way Sky HD+ boxes handle all streamed services by recording them to HDD for "buffering" purposes

That wasn't so. But hey look, if you want to watch sub SD standard recordings on playback then knock yourself out. I just use the HD PVR.

You are wrong on so many counts.

Those with Sky-HD subscriptions can download content their box HDD. In the original quality including HD., overnight You cannot use it elsewhere and it has a date you need to watch it by.. It;s an excat copy of the originzal broadcast. If it was 1080i Full HD the downloaded copy will be identical including the audio streams which may be 5.1 surround.

Handy for slow connections. Many other on Demand services allow downloading, so you can watch it later without a internet connection. They have the same limitations though these days iplayer downloaded content has a much longer expiry date.

Welcome to the 21st Century,

In fact you can record most anything output in real time from a HDMI output in FULL-HD using a digital modulator and using a Freeviev-HD PVR.

Amazon product ASIN B0789H7JVD
And before you respond, this is not illegal, it does not defeat HDCP coy protection. The source device has already handshaked with the source. The device is just an update on the old PAL rf modulator system used on Sky boxes rather than outputting a PAL I analogue channel on a UHF carrier of your choice. It outputs a single channel DVB-T Mux on a single UHF carrier of you choice in full quality 1080i. Basically it's just a HD stereo sound update on the antiquated mono only Sky magic eye setup.

Most any modern TV can tune a DVB-T 1080i source. Since DVB-T 2 is backwards compatible with DVB-T. The single channel can be tuned in using a Freeview-HD device, So any Freeview-HD compatible device including a smart TV with a usb drive can record it like any other source.

I know you will find this hard to understand based on some of your previous postings.

You need at least a basic understanding of how digital video works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note also that with Sky catchup HD versions are available on some content from some SD channels such as 5US and 5star

Graham
I tried that some time ago. The pvr (Panny BWT) refused to record.
Technomate TM-RF HD modulator.
It even refused to record when the HDMI source was my laptop and just a Windows desktop.

Thanks for your input and advice everyone, I will try a few things out and if I have any luck I'll report back.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom