Question How to put New Hard Disk into an Amstrad Sky+ HD Box? (Windows 10 user)

Maniac618

Hi all,

I, like others, would like to put a 2TB disk into my Amstrad 890 Sky+ HD box.

Firstly, I only have Windows 7 and Windows 10 at my disposal for any software required, is this going to be an issue?

I tried to use copy+ the other night on my Windows 10 PC running it as XP and Win 7 compatibility and it could not see my old 500gb Seagate drive that came out of it! It would be nice to be able to back this up and then restore the backup to a new disk going in. Has anyone else had issues with copy+ not seeing their disk from their box before?

Also, in terms of getting a new 2TB disk. Which disks work with 890 box (I've had mine since about 2011)?

Do I need to prepare a new disk in any way or can it be put straight into the Sky box and it'll work?

Thanks for any info!

simon194

Copy+ hasn't been updated for years and won't work on for drives from any boxes other than old Thomson HD boxes. You need to use ExPVR these days but you have to pay for it.

It's best to use disks specifically designed for PVRs and IIRC the 890 will "format" 2TB drives OK although if you are going to copy over existing recordings ExPVR will prepare the disk as part of the copy process.

Tuddy

simon194, if a 2TB drive is put in to a 890 is the whole disc available for recordings? Don't need to copy over recordings.

Thanks.

Maniac618

Copy+ hasn't been updated for years and won't work on for drives from any boxes other than old Thomson HD boxes. You need to use ExPVR these days but you have to pay for it.

It's best to use disks specifically designed for PVRs and IIRC the 890 will "format" 2TB drives OK although if you are going to copy over existing recordings ExPVR will prepare the disk as part of the copy process.
Cheers, exPVR is working. The free version does copy disk to disk but only 15 recordings, which is exactly how many I want to keep!

I've got a WD20EZRX to transfer to but apparently need to have a jumper on pins 3 and 4 which I am trying to confirm the position of. The diagrams I've seen aren't conclusive as to the orientation of the diagram!

Anyway, it should work if I've got the right pins.

Maniac618

simon194, if a 2TB drive is put in to a 890 is the whole disc available for recordings? Don't need to copy over recordings.

Thanks.
Sky Anytime reserves some space, I'm not certain how much but it doesn't get bigger if the disk is bigger, so you'd have much more recording space still.

nsewell

Thanks.
In a DRX890 250GB will be reserved for Sky's use. The rest of the space will be available for personal recordings.

2TB works fine but there are too many HDDs that do work very well with a Sky plus HD box. Sky boxes require AV type drives due to the way theses drives handle errors over regular drives.

WD AV-GP series drives are the only drives that I have seen work fine in a Sky +HD box.
Some earlier Seagate pipeline drives work without a glitch but all the 2tb ones.

There are some Hitachi PVR drives fitted by Sky but they are hard to get new and fairly expensive second hand.

I would recommend the drives- WD20eurs or WD20eurx

TJT1

simon194

I would recommend the drives- WD20eurs or WD20eurx
The 2TB EURS is the one I chose for my 890, picked it up for £40. I'm not sure if they are still available because WD tend to supersede drives very quickly these days.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom