1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to pull a rabbit out a hat

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by bobbyb, Sep 7, 2004.

1. bobbyb

bobbyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

Ive been looking at building up a home sound system for music only (not movies). I first started looking at home cinema because of affordability of all-in-ones. but for my purposes components seems to be the best option.

My current budget allows me to buy a fair home cinema system, but this should increase as i save more each month. I'm not in a major hurry, so I'm prepared to look around but i'd like to have the basics sometime soon. Given my budget I though that buying the components second hand would be most economical.

I foresee myself hooking up some cd or dvd-decks in the future, so the option of being able to add on more speakers and other hardware is desirable (but by that time i'd probably have enough cash to buy better components anyway).

I currently live in a flat with wooden floors (which limits the volume I will play the sytem at).
    the space I want to install the sound is a room 4m x 6m and an adjoining room 2.m x 3.5m

basically i'm asking:
    what components i need to start off getting;
    how much scope there is to buy second hand components (receiver, speaker etc) - what i should never consider buying second-hand, what components would be best to buy second-hand, what i need to be aware of;
    where i should look for second-hand stuff;
    what i should look for

Seeing that I live in South Africa assitance will only proabablt be limited to general guidelines. However if anyone knows of other resources to recommend me going to down here, I would be hugely appreciative

thanks

(I don't want to **** people off by posting this message across all different forums. So maybe you can suggest the kinds of issues I should raise across the other forums.)

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Bobby very simple really go for a AV/MC pre-amp and add either a 5 channel PAs or individual PAs for the channels you require. Depending on budget you can get very decent musical performance from a set up like this, I have a good friend who runs an old Cyrus AV pre amp (AV5 IIRC) into a 6 channel Rotel 985 from a Toshiba DVD-V player and to these ears it sound stunning even with 2 channel CD.

On your pre-amp though you should be looking for 5.1 Anlg inputs for SACD & DVD-A, so your SACD & DVDA are processed in the player then sent directly to the PAs via the anlg bypasses on the AV Pre.

If I was going for a 5.1 Music systems that’s the way I would be heading. For CD use simply run a coaxial feed into the AV Pre from the Universal player and let it decode CD for you, saying that you may even like the players attempt at CD, they are improving all the time in CD terms IMHO.

3. bobbyb

bobbyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments CJ

I spoke to someone and they told me that on my budget separate preamp (or prepro) and power amp is just not a viable consideration (even 2nd-hand).

I am really new at this so I'm not quite sure how to interpret (any) of the advice I'm getting.

Apparently I'm supposed to looking for a used integrated amp (that enables me to upgrade to preamp and PAs in the future) and speakers.

This is a very open-ended question but what should I need to know to go buying second-hand?

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Intregrated wise I would be looking at Sony ES or Rotel, over here in the UK we also get very good deal 2nd hand on high end Integrated from a few years ago, Ie Pioneer E07s, Denon AVC1s, Yam A-1s etc. These are a worth checking out.

HTHs

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    HI Bobby.If you can give a rough guesstimate at what you can afford to spend, then the guys can work around it with suggestions. TA.

6. bobbyb

bobbyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks again cj

overkill

I'm not sure how the european and south african markets compare

I guess that I have about R3-5K to spend initially (I give such a wide band because I'd prefer to spend less but can afford R5K at a stretch) and it looks like this will be divided between an integrated amp and speakers.

At current exchange rates R3K is £250/€375 and R5K is £425/€625, but once again I'm not sure if value in South Africa is comparable (especially in the second hand market)