How to properly "split/switch" a HDMI 2.0A signal?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Quintilian, Nov 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Quintilian

Quintilian
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Hope someone can help me (I'm turning slightly mad with this issue!

- I have a 4K/HDR-TV (Samsung 2016 8-series)
    - I have a 4K/HDR receiver (Marantz NR1506).
    - I have ordered a PS4 Pro (4K/HDR output).
    - I have a Playstation Virtual-Reality (PSVR) headset that does NOT support 4K/HDR passthrough...

For the PSVR to function it has to be connected as follows:
    PS4 PRO -> PSVR-box -> Receiver -> TV.

This kills the 4K/HDR from the PS4...

I want to fix this by splitting/switching the HDMI-signal just after it leaves the PS4...

One signal goes directly into the receiver, the other one goes via the PSVR and then to the receiver...

What kind of splitter/switch do I need?

Does it have to be HDMI 2.0a compliant, or is 1.4 good enough (since the actual cables are identical from HDMI 1.4 -> HDMI 2.0a-standard? I can't find a single 2.0A compliant switch in my country... There are some "china versions" on ebay/amazon for around 100 USD... Are these basically rebranded 1.4 ones?

Any input very much appreciated!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    HDMI Version numbers are not relevant - what you need to look for are the Features you require support for.

HDMI.org - actually banned hardware manufacturers from using version numbers to describe or advertise products back in 2012.

HDR - you are going to have to split the PS4 Output using an HDR capable 1x2 Distribution 'Switch' so sometimes you use it direct to the AVR (when you require HDR) and other times when you require the VR headset and no HDR.

HDR - the alternative would be a Distribution Amp with onboard processing of one Output to allow HDR to the Display and simultaneous non-HDR to the VR headset.

Joe

3. Quintilian

Quintilian
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying!

I have ordered a HDR-capable splitter (advertised as "HDR-, 4K- and HDCP 2.2-compatible")... It was priced at around 100 Euros and my local AV-shop promised it should work... We'll see.. :)

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    The potential problem with a conventional Distribution Amp (Splitter) is going to be around EDID management - the PS4 will 'see' both the VR box and the TV so may revert to non-HDR any time it sees the VR box.

If you can manage the EDID within the Splitter or force the Splitter to ignore the VR Box when it is in standby you should be able to make it work.

Joe

5. whereisaaron

whereisaaron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi @Quintilian did you get your PS Pro now? How does the splitter work? Which model is it?

I have the same situation, with a US KS8000, PS Pro, and PSVR. I was stalking HDMI 2.0 splitters like this one, which supports [email protected] with HDR.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IGIK160

@Joe Fernand this splitter copies the EDID info only from output 1 to the source. So if I connect two 4K HDMI 2.0 TVs, and only the TV one output 1 supports HDR, will that likey work? Will the second, non-HDR TV ignore the HDR metadata OK?

6. whereisaaron

whereisaaron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    @Quintilian I was able to get an HDMI switch working for PS4 Pro and PSVR

I used this $25 mechanical HDMI switch from Amazon.com: 'IBIS 2-port HDMI Switch'

This is a simple mechanical switch, there is no smarts or processing in the switch at all, so no EDID woes, but the HDMI standards, speeds and modes it supports are limited by the length and shielding of the HDMI cables you use with it. I use the cheapest but shortest HDMI 2.0 spec cables I could find (3ft Amazon Basics HDMI 2.0 cables) and had no problems. My connections are:

PS4 Pro -> Switch Input
    Switch Output 1 -> TV Input 1
    Switch Output 2 -> PSVR -> TV Input 2

To switch to PSVR I flick the HDMI switch one way and change the TV input, to switch back to full 4K RGB / HDR I flick the HDMI switch the other way and change TV Input back. Not perfect, only and PSVR firmware patch can properly fix this problem, but a reasonable set-up.

Note that there some Amazon reviewers who said this switch didn't work for them with PSVR and some that said it did. So YMMV. One person used this same set-up but added an Denon receiver and thus an extra cable into the mix also, and that didn't work for them.