How to play normal tv sound through old LG dvd surround sound system

rhysdavis90

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I have been gifted a old LG dvd surround sound system recently I have purchased a scart to hdmi lead to go to the TV everything works fine now along with red/white audio cables for good sounf I am basically wondering how to use the surround sound to play everything that comes from the tv cable, Xbox etc? Is there a way

Some model details would be helpful or at least an idea of the connections available on the LG and your TV.

Most modern TVs output the sound all inputs, tuners and smart apps via the optical port so that would probably be the best option.

Some model details would be helpful or at least an idea of the connections available on the LG and your TV.

Most modern TVs output the sound all inputs, tuners

Most modern TVs output the sound all inputs, tuners and smart apps via the optical port so that would probably be the best option.
It’s a smart TV Polaroid one it has normal red/white audio ports and the digital type one but I’ve just got a (scart to hdmi) lead running between the tv and the dvd receiver the sound works perfect for dvds but I’m wanting to use it for all sound coming from the TV if I make sense and thanks for ur response I forgot my login details to get back in have only discovered this site today 😄

It’s a smart TV Polaroid one it has normal red/white audio ports and the digital type one but I’ve just got a (scart to hdmi) lead running between the tv and the dvd receiver the sound works perfect for dvds but I’m wanting to use it for all sound coming from the TV if I make sense and thanks for ur response I forgot my login details to get back in have only discovered this site today 😄
Any idea mate coz I’m really stuck now haha

What model is the LG system? Has it got optical in?

Any idea mate coz I’m really stuck now haha
What model is the LG system? Has it got optical in?
Its pretty old LG LH-T55OTB it doesn’t have optical or coaxial only audio red white that’s why I bought the converter it’s all plugged in now sound works for DVDs but I want to route all the tv sound though the speakers

I know what your trying to achieve but without all the info it's tricky to advise.
If you plug one of these between the scart lead and the scart socket on your TV, you then use a standard to phono to two phono from it to the inputs on the LG

There is no scart lead on the TV so I had to buy a scart to hdmi lead too , ok I’m trying to picture what ur saying can you expain a little more please

I know what your trying to achieve but without all the info it's tricky to advise.
If you plug one of these between the scart lead and the scart socket on your TV, you then use a standard to phono to two phono from it to the inputs on the LG
What info do you need? The dvd is old only has a scart and audio ports the TV is a smart type new and supports all atm I’ve got scart to hdmi lead to TV and red/white from dvd to converter then optical into TV

Why are you running phono to optical into the TV when your already running a scart /hdmi convertor?

I’m basically only wanting to route lol sound to speakers from my tv not just DVD do you know how to do that please

Yes I get what you want to do, you've said it several times lol.

So the optical lead needs to be connected to optical out on the TV and then the other end that is phono needs to be plugged into the phono input on the LG. Ensure in the TV's settings it's set to optical output and choose the phono input on the LG. Then whatever is showing on the TV screen's audio will play

Lol do you know what it’s been hard trying to find someone that understands what I want to do so do I need to use both connectors? So I leave scart to hdmi in then what do I do with the other part the optical one

I've explained what to do with the optical in my last post.

Yes I get what you want to do, you've said it several times lol.

So the optical lead needs to be connected to optical out on the TV and then the other end that is phono needs to be plugged into the phono input on the LG. Ensure in the TV's settings it's set to optical output and choose the phono input on the LG. Then whatever is showing on the TV screen's audio will play
I’m trying to follow so atm I’ve got the optical lead coming from tv optical out to the black box converter and then red white leads going from there into the dvd receiver I don’t understand what u mean

That's exactly what I just said. You hadn't made it clear which sockets you were using ie input or output.
Therefore when you switch to that input on the LG you get the sound from the TV

I've explained what to do with the optical in my last post.
Right I’ve done exactly that I’ve tried all settings on tv and dvd receiver but I still can’t get sound when I go on bbc i player for example

I’ve got the options of tv audio and aux on the receiver been on both and no sound coming out of speakers

I’ve tried going through HDMI arc headphone only or line out on TV which sound output one would it typically be? None of them are working

That's exactly what I just said. You hadn't made it clear which sockets you were using ie input or output.
Therefore when you switch to that input on the LG you get the sound from the TV
Ok cool all connections are good I think just can’t get sound I’ve tried all options on tv and dvd box

There is the posibility that the input on the LG is faulty.

It’s less than 3 months old I don’t think that’s it tbh
It will be a lot older than that as it's got a scart socket. Been obsolete for quite a few years.

The TV is less than 3 months old it doesn’t have a scart lead input that’s why I got the converter and the dvd is ancient but the speakers are good so I’m just wanting to reroute sound from my tv

I'm talking about the LG

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom