• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question How to play atmos movies from a external harddrive?

Dalgaard

Novice Member
Hey.
I got a Oled c7 tv, a LG sj9 atmos soundbar and an Xbox one x.
Streaming atmos movies and playing from discs works fine, but I have a few videos, movies downloaded with atmos on an external hdd next to the tv.

Is there any way those movies and videos can be played with the atmos sound through the external hdd ?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I'm quite the beginner with surround, soundbar and what not.

Dalgaard

Novice Member
Yeah tried that yesterday, but the soundbar didn't change it to atmos. I'm using the regular "Media player " on the Xbox. Is there another media player I should use instead?

I read something about the movies need to be in "Dolby digital +" for LG or something, but I think those I have, are named "trueHD".

Aryn86

Prominent Member
Yeah tried that yesterday, but the soundbar didn't change it to atmos. I'm using the regular "Media player " on the Xbox. Is there another media player I should use instead?

I read something about the movies need to be in "Dolby digital +" for LG or something, but I think those I have, are named "trueHD".

Is your Xbox connected to your soundbar via HDMI?

D

Deleted member 433786

Xbox can only pass lossless atmos from UHD disks and lossy atmos from streaming services, Your TV can only pass lossy atmos (which these files are not).

with the kit you have mentioned it's not possible unfortunately, an additional box capable of bitstreaming TrueHD is required

cheers

D

Deleted member 433786

My Xbox is connected through HDMI in the television.

I read something about installing "kodi" on the Xbox?

won't work mate, neither will using Plex, and even if it did your xbox would need to be connected straight to the sound bar and not the TV

cheers

Dalgaard

Novice Member
Atmos works fine in games and disc by connecting HDMI from Xbox to television HDMI 1 port. I'm using the Arc port for the soundbar.

D

Deleted member 433786

Atmos works fine in games and disc by connecting HDMI from Xbox to television HDMI 1 port. I'm using the Arc port for the soundbar.

Xbox handles atmos differently than most other boxes, it unpacks the metadata and multichannel PCM stream and sends in a format which is called Dolby MAT, I guess your LG can process DOLBY MAT, which is good as most TV's cannot, either way the api needed is restricted to first party apps and games, the reason netflix can get round it is video playback is done using a wrapper in the edge browser. No other third party app has access to this api so the original answer remains the same. you need another box if you want to access atmos from true HD files

cheers

Dalgaard

Novice Member
I dont fully understand all that, but it's an old post. So I guess I got that update already?

I'm not really into all those specifics about atmos and surround, so i dont really fully understand what it's about.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Basically, you need to buy some kind of streaming device that supports bitstreaming such as a Nvidia Shield TV, a Vero4K, Zappitti or one of many, many others.

Dalgaard

Novice Member
Guess you are right. But doesn't the Xbox one x support that also?
Under audio settings, it says enable bitstreaming. When setting it to enable it play atmos in games and discs perfectly. With bitstreaming OFF, I won't play atmos in atmos games

D

Deleted member 433786

Guess you are right. But doesn't the Xbox one x support that also?
Under audio settings, it says enable bitstreaming. When setting it to enable it play atmos in games and discs perfectly. With bitstreaming OFF, I won't play atmos in atmos games

When atmos is turned on, with the xbox it forces everything to be sent with that signal even if the audio source is not atmos, there is actually only about a dozen true atmos games.

Your C7 will accept the atmos signal but I do not believe that it is sending full multichannel PCM down the ARC port, I suspect is either compressing the PCM stream or down mixing to 2 channel PCM, how do you verify the signal on the bar itself?

edit... loads of threads, one example from the this forum. As said previously this is why a lot of people are waiting for EARC

LG DOLBY Atmos problem

The new xbox update, which is in preview, now up mixes none atmos games to give a pseudo atmos effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalgaard

Novice Member
I can only verify by pressing info on the remote when using the Xbox, the soundbar says Dolby Atmos all the time during my use of Xbox.

For example when using Netflix on the tv, Atmos will only power on, when watching a Atmos movie.
But okay, guess I'll just wait my time and see if any update will change this.

posadajulian

Novice Member
Guys i´ve noticed the conversation has been arround the xbox, but is there any other UHD player or streaming box capable of taking a video with Atmos audio on an external Hard Drive and sending it directly to a sound bar via HDMI?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom