Question How to plan speaker/amp upgrades?

vaderag

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly old Yamaha receiver (HTR-3063) and the speakers that came with it as a set

I've been pretty happy with it but am feeling it's due an upgrade as recently moved rooms and feel could use something more imposing

Amp needs a 4k upgrade tho I'm working around it with optical out from the TV at the moment, so it's not urgent

Was thinking I might upgrade the front speakers to some floorstanding as the first upgrade, leaving center and rears as they are for now, but is this a bad plan?
Should I buy a 5.1 set?
If not, is there anything I need to watch out for when comes to future upgrades?

Or should I upgrade the receiver first?

Thanks

I recently upgraded my TV, speakers, receiver and 4k player.
Have experienced a few minor niggles along the way and the only thing I would say is that it's difficult to pinpoint where the actual problems stem from when you upgrade too much at once.
I've learnt. I think.
🤔 🤔 🤔

I recently upgraded my TV, speakers, receiver and 4k player.
Have experienced a few minor niggles along the way and the only thing I would say is that it's difficult to pinpoint where the actual problems stem from when you upgrade too much at once.
I've learnt. I think.
🤔 🤔 🤔

With that in mind it seems you'd recommend the gradual approach (which is better for my bank balance)! Be good to know the pitfalls and things to look out for! Are speakers a sensible starting point?

Anyone else got thoughts?

Personally I’d go with the amp first. This really is the spine of the systems and if you go with speakers first there’s every chance that your old amp wouldn’t be bringing out the best of them.

Personally I’d go with the amp first. This really is the spine of the systems and if you go with speakers first there’s every chance that your old amp wouldn’t be bringing out the best of them.
Is it not more likely that I'd get something more out of the speakers tho than if I upgrade the amp and more than likely to not get anything more out of the current speakers?

I didn’t see where you mentioned your current speakers. depending on what speakers you upgrade to how much power they need is anyone’s guess.

I didn’t see where you mentioned your current speakers. depending on what speakers you upgrade to how much power they need is anyone’s guess.
My guess as well at the moment.
I have the Yamaha speakers that came with the amp in a set, so I imagine they're just perfect for that and not much else

Yes it sounds like a nice entry level setup but it sounds like you are looking for more. Buying used would give you more bang for buck. Some nice amps have been hitting the forums you could then keep an eye for speakers to match over time.

Perhaps buy in your tempo would be a nice idea instead of buying everything at once since you never now if you can get great deals/cheaper down the road. But I would also buy the amplifier of your choice first then you can add the speakers, tv later. Perhaps even save up some money for your dream setup.

Last edited:
You say you want floorstanding speakers but have no given any idea of the size of your room, where they will be positioned to find out if indeed they would be suitable for room. Floorstanding speakers like room to perform at their best, not stuck in a corner and in many cases pulled out from the rear wall and into the room.

Although standmounts on their respective stands will have the same footprint as floorstanders they can and do often perform better than floorstanders in a restricted space and with the addition of a subwoofer in a surround sound system do not need the bigger bass drivers that are found in floorstanders. You should post a diagram of your room with dimensions and show your proposed speakers positions.

As for upgrading it can be done bit by bit. I would start with a receiver and a pair of stereo speakers for the front. Next on the shopping list should be a sub and following that a centre speaker that comes from the same model range as the fronts.

You say you want floorstanding speakers but have no given any idea of the size of your room, where they will be positioned to find out if indeed they would be suitable for room. Floorstanding speakers like room to perform at their best, not stuck in a corner and in many cases pulled out from the rear wall and into the room.

Although standmounts on their respective stands will have the same footprint as floorstanders they can and do often perform better than floorstanders in a restricted space and with the addition of a subwoofer in a surround sound system do not need the bigger bass drivers that are found in floorstanders. You should post a diagram of your room with dimensions and show your proposed speakers positions.

As for upgrading it can be done bit by bit. I would start with a receiver and a pair of stereo speakers for the front. Next on the shopping list should be a sub and following that a centre speaker that comes from the same model range as the fronts.

We recently extended so now have a large open plan area. Floor standing idea was as much for visual impact and decor (the wife may not agree on that) as audio, tho the small speakers I have now are not quite cutting it in the new space

I'll try post a picture in a bit

That would be helpful.

Attached

Ignoring the kids junk you can see where we'd plan to have them (either side of the unit)

Attachments

• 15847822597257960604602725736923.jpg
    15847822597257960604602725736923.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 81
Yamaha system - one issue you can run into with many ‘systems’ is the impedance of the ‘system’ speakers is not always a good match for a star alone AVR and vice versa the system Amp may not be a good match with stand along speakers.

Room - hard floors, walls etc makes for lots of audio reflections, a rug on the floor would be a good option.

Room - floor or stand mount speakers either side of the cabinet would work and possibly add a Centre on the wall or if you must on the cabinet.

Budget - any indication of what you would be comfortable spending on the upgrades?

Joe

Yamaha system - one issue you can run into with many ‘systems’ is the impedance of the ‘system’ speakers is not always a good match for a star alone AVR and vice versa the system Amp may not be a good match with stand along speakers.

Room - hard floors, walls etc makes for lots of audio reflections, a rug on the floor would be a good option.

Room - floor or stand mount speakers either side of the cabinet would work and possibly add a Centre on the wall or if you must on the cabinet.

Budget - any indication of what you would be comfortable spending on the upgrades?

Joe

Thanks for the info. Definitely not adverse to getting a rug

Re budget in probably at the low end compared to many around here! That said within reason I'll spend what's needed. I imagine £500-600ish on amp when I get to it and then same again on speakers. At a complete guess. Depends what deals I saw tho!

That's an overall budget of £1200, not too bad. If your requirements is only going to be a maximum of seven channels either as a base 7.1 or Atmos 5.1.2 then there is quite a few at just over £400 that would suit your needs. That would then allow around £800 for speakers.

My choice would be the Denon X2600. I would also buy from the same supplier for the speakers as it's easier to do a good deal that way.

That's an overall budget of £1200, not too bad. If your requirements is only going to be a maximum of seven channels either as a base 7.1 or Atmos 5.1.2 then there is quite a few at just over £400 that would suit your needs. That would then allow around £800 for speakers.

My choice would be the Denon X2600. I would also buy from the same supplier for the speakers as it's easier to do a good deal that way.
Sounds like you're suggesting all in at the same time? Was going to drip and drab (hence the thinking speakers first!)

But consensus here so far seems to be update the 'hub' first... Which I'm not adverse to doing I guess

5.1 is likely to be the max tbh. Unless wireless battery powered speakers become a thing! Also our rears are high which is fine but would make the high speakers from Atmos etc a little bit tricky to fit in

Sounds like you're suggesting all in at the same time? Was going to drip and drab (hence the thinking speakers first!)

But consensus here so far seems to be update the 'hub' first... Which I'm not adverse to doing I guess

5.1 is likely to be the max tbh. Unless wireless battery powered speakers become a thing! Also our rears are high which is fine but would make the high speakers from Atmos etc a little bit tricky to fit in
No not really saying all in at once, perhaps thinking out loud. Very few receivers except for entry level will be a base 5.1, the vast majority around the £400 mark will have the abilities I've outlined. If you surrounds are too high and have to remain so then Atmos would not be a good idea.

Going all in at once would probably get you a better deal but only if you can fund it all at the same time and in these uncertain times who knows what's around the corner. For the fortunate we could see prices tumbling as dealers strive to shift stock.

Changing the Front LR Speakers is going to make the most obvious difference to your Sound reproduction - along with the rug.

I would be tempted to ditch the Centre if you do go for new speakers as the current speaker is not going to be a good match and having it placed at the back of the cabinet is not great either.

Usually folk would be advocating a demo - that is likley going to be tricky for the foreseeable future.

Joe

Changing the Front LR Speakers is going to make the most obvious difference to your Sound reproduction - along with the rug.

I would be tempted to ditch the Centre if you do go for new speakers as the current speaker is not going to be a good match and having it placed at the back of the cabinet is not great either.

Usually folk would be advocating a demo - that is likley going to be tricky for the foreseeable future.

Joe

Front L&R was where my head was at first, then Amp, followed by centre and rears...
Can I ask what you mean about the centre placement? Also, i guess i could upgrade the centre at the same time if needed

Positioning - the pic shows your Front LCR sitting to the Rear of your cabinet which means the sound coming out of the speakers is hitting the cabinet top and being redirected upwards, so not ideal. Try pulling the speakers forward so the front edge of the speakers is in line with the front of the cabinet.

If you go with a larger Centre speaker you again want it towards the front of the cabinet and preferably with something to isolate it from the cabinet or it may 'boom'.

Joe

Last edited:
Positioning - the pic shows your Front LCR sitting to the Rear of your cabinet which means the sound coming out of the spearers is hitting the cabinet top and being redirected upwards, so not ideal. Try pulling the speakers forward so the front edge of the speakers is in line with the front of the cabinet.

If you go with a larger Centre speaker you again want it towards the front of the cabinet and preferably with something to isolate it from the cabinet or it may 'boom'.

Joe

Ah, thanks - never considered that.
Now I need to consider what to do with the hole in the wall at the back of it! (where all the TV wires come through) and the trailing wire (unless i drill a hole in the unit)
I also never thought that a rug would make a difference :laugh:

Joe's advice regarding pulling the speakers forward is good, something I usually pick up on. Any speakers on cabinets or a shelf should always sit proud of the front edge for the reasons Joe has outlined. My front three are on a cabinet and all sit with the front of the speakers sitting 30cm over the edge.

Joe's advice regarding pulling the speakers forward is good, something I usually pick up on. Any speakers on cabinets or a shelf should always sit proud of the front edge for the reasons Joe has outlined. My front three are on a cabinet and all sit with the front of the speakers sitting 30cm over the edge.

How do you sit them 30cm over the edge?! Are they super massive speakers or do you have a bracket?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom