How to place speakers?

Binnerup

Novice Member
Hi,

We recently moved, and I am building my home cinema up at the new place - I unfortunately do not have the funds to upgrade entirely to with new speakers, ect., so I am trying to get the best out of what I have.

My speaker setup is a 7.1 setup is an older set of Jamo Concert, which I like the sound of - the problem I have is the positioning of the back speakers. The problem I have is that we mainly would listen to Blu-ray's with a 5.1 or 7.1 TrueHD or PCM sound, but over time, we would more and more be listening to Atmos tracks, and then comes the placing question.

I have two sets of Jamo D8SUR, which is this product:

It is a "2 Way Bipole/Dipole" - I know that these may not be ideal for Atmos, but it is what I have.

Jamo writes in the manual to place them at 2 meters, which is well above ear height - quote: "Mount the Jamo D 8SUR in line with the listening position, either on the side walls - approx. 2 m above the floor - or on the ceiling"

But, Dolby writes for Atmos that speakers should be placed at the ear height.

At which height would you place these speakers?

I can't be the only person who have a setup that needs to work best possible for either traditional 5.1, 7.1 PCM or TrueHD, but at the same time also would like to use it with the newer Atmos solutions - perhaps extending the setup with ceiling speakers over time.

Thank you for your inputs,

Brian

Jase

Distinguished Member
I'd put them at just above ear height when seated if you're going to eventually have an Atmos setup. If you're unlikely to ever have an Atmos setup then I'd place them as Jamo suggest.

Alternatively put them higher up as suggested by Jamo and then move them back down again to the recommended Atmos layout when you upgrade.

Mr Wolf

I researched speaker layouts extensively before building my HT room and found that THX and AV guru Anthony Grimani both advise to put the bed layer surrounds a little above ear height in Atmos systems. I'm still currently running 7.2 but will be moving to 9.2.4 at some point so have all my surrounds on 100cm speaker stands which puts the tweeters at about 125cm which in my room is about 35cm above seated ear height.

Also, if you dig into the detailed Dolby guidance for creating Atmos mixing studios even they say the side and back surrounds can placed at a height of up to 1.25x the height of the front LCR speakers.

Mr Wolf

Forgot to say that Trinnov also advises to place surrounds in Atmos systems at 30cm above seated ear height in its layout guide.

Trinnov | Trinnov Speaker Layout Guide

If you want to get into the real detail of how to optimise speaker layouts, I can highly recommend this video series aimed at professional installers by AVPro Edge and Anthony Grimini. The presentation slides are what he uses to deliver training to CEDIA custom installers.

WARNING it's very long (3 videos with nearly 6 hours of content) but it is incredibly informative and the best I've found as he explains the "why" of everything and is prepared to disagree with Dolby's advice based on his real world experiences.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
If you want to get into acoustics this is Anthony providing some insight

5-6 hours of really useful insight - Just ignore Gene !

steve sph

Suspended
Forgot to say that Trinnov also advises to place surrounds in Atmos systems at 30cm above seated ear height in its layout guide.

Trinnov | Trinnov Speaker Layout Guide

If you want to get into the real detail of how to optimise speaker layouts, I can highly recommend this video series aimed at professional installers by AVPro Edge and Anthony Grimini. The presentation slides are what he uses to deliver training to CEDIA custom installers.

WARNING it's very long (3 videos with nearly 6 hours of content) but it is incredibly informative and the best I've found as he explains the "why" of everything and is prepared to disagree with Dolby's advice based on his real world experiences.

Love Anthony Grimani - the way he explains complex concepts to the layman is brilliant - never too dumbed down and never over-technical.
He's also not afraid to challenge conventional wisdom when it comes to speaker positioning/crossovers/LPF - basically the only thing that concerns him is getting the best sound possible for any given set-up, and if that means throwing out the rule book then out it goes.
I'd say I've learned more from him than anyone else in the area of sound and acoustics.
Watching him giving Gene DollarSellout of Fraudioholics a schooling is always worth watching.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom