1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to pick up a stronger signal?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Asaf, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Asaf

Asaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hey Guys,

I recently bought a 8.5 ft dish and for the most part I have a signal at about 65-75 but when it rains and is stormy my signal is just about gone. Anything I can do about this without having to buy a bigger dish?

Thanks,
    Asaf

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    To diagnose this properly we need more details about your installation.
    Firstly it might help if you tell us your location.
    Secondly which channels and on which satellite is this ?
    Thirdly what make and model is your receiver ?
    What LNB do you have?
    How long is the cable from your LNB to your receiver?
    What type of cable is it (e.g. CT100 or just normal "TV coax").
    As a satellite enthusiast since 1983 , I am sure I can give some guidance when you come up with more information.
    You will of course have weaker signals during rain or cloud which is what "rain fade margin" is all about.
    You can probably improve matters though by optimising your installation, but , to help with this we'll need to know more than just "8.5 foot dish and 65-75 signal".

Chris Muriel -author of (somewhat outdated) Digital Satellite FAQ, Manchester, UK

3. Asaf

Asaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Chris,

Sorry I no so little about this stuff. However, I am learning slowly. I have answered as many questions that I can. If you should need more I can ask the seller as well. Heres what I have...

Thanks,
    asaf

1. Location bangkok, Thailand
    2. Satallites that I pick up are the following:
    a. Thaicom
    b. Apstar
    c. Insat
    d. Panamsat 7/10
    e. Angila KU and about 10 more show up but I dont receive much.

My main satellite usage is from both Thaicom and Angila. The others I dont seem to pick up anything even when they say FTA. "Free to Air" I have wanted to watch a certain show on FTA from India but i cant seem to tune it in.
    3. My receiver is called Dynasat DOU C-KU 400 Channel
    4. LNB no idea
    5. How long of Cable run? About 10-15 meters
    6. What type of cable? Regular TV Coax (they gave me no option on this)

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The bigger the dish, the more critical the alignment. Think of it as being similar to using a telescope. With a low power telescope, you can wave it vaguely in the direction of the object that you want to look at, and you will see it in the field of vision. With a much larger telescope, you will have trouble actually finding the object you want to see, and if you move the telescope just a little, you will probably lose the object. Satellite dishes behave in exactly the same way. A 60cm dish can be 3 degrees off alignment, and still get a reasonable signal, but some of the bigger dishes can lose a lot of signal if they are only 1 degree off.

5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    This is mainly a Europe based forum so we are unfamiliar with your location.

I can only give you a few hints from here ; you need more local help.

The satellites you mention seem to be from 78 degrees East to 134 deg East.
    I have never come across a Dynasat satellite receiver either here in Europe or in the USA.
    Your cable will attenuate higher frequencies because TV coax is designed for frequencies up to about 900 MHz ; the satellite IF frequencies fed from your outdoor dish/LNB down to your Dynasat will be in the range 900-2150 MHz - with increasing losses at the higher frequencies. You really need to acquire some proper satellite cable to improve that.
    You length of cable is quite short and should not be cause any problems ; in fact , because it is short, it will partially compensate for the losses casued by using standard TV coax.
    Your dish may not be properly aligned to track the Clarke or geostationary belt. A good explanation of what is required is shown here :
    http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp4.html
    The diagram near the bottom of that webpage is very useful for diagnosing whether the problem is caused by incorrect declination or just set too far west or east on the north-south axis.
    I recommend that you find an Asia based forum to discuss things further.

I hope some of this helps.

Chris Muriel, Manchester, UK

6. Asaf

Asaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks guys.

Yes, I agree about finding 'local' support - but not as easy as it seems. The compnay who put this in had really no equipement to speak of except for a cumpas and then maunually tuned in the channels. They seem to only know the very basics and when you probe deeper they have no idea!

Regards,
    Asaf

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    I suggest you try to find a forum on the internet that is based in Asia rather than Europe.
    Then at least you will be talking to people who are receiving the same satellite channels as yourself.
    They are also much more likely to have some knowledge of your receiver.

Chris Muriel