How to phrase the question

Ralphish

Standard Member
Reaction score
Strange world! I have asked what I thought was a pretty straightforward question: can I connect my Edifier S880SB speakers which have no "sub out" to an Edifier T5 subwoofer. I have asked Edifier support and customer service who said they would "get back shortly" - that was four days ago. Edifier US advised that it is not possible. A UK supplier says it is via the Aux socket. The guy who supplied the sub says he doesn't have a clue. I raised the possibility of connecting everything up via my now redundant Marantz amp and and a forum member kindly responded though he was not able to suggest how I might do so. As I live in France I bought the sub from a Spanish dealer for fear of incurring hefty Brexit duties. This is why I did not buy from the UK dealer who was optimistic about the connection. It will cost me more than half the initial cost of the sub to return it.
I watch in awe as forum members deal with what appear to me to be breathtakingly complicated issues. Somebody somewhere out there must have a definitive answer to mine which appears so much simpler! You cannot imagine how grateful I would be.

Strange world! I have asked what I thought was a pretty straightforward question: can I connect my Edifier S880SB speakers which have no "sub out" to an Edifier T5 subwoofer. I have asked Edifier support and customer service who said they would "get back shortly" - that was four days ago. Edifier US advised that it is not possible. A UK supplier says it is via the Aux socket. The guy who supplied the sub says he doesn't have a clue. I raised the possibility of connecting everything up via my now redundant Marantz amp and and a forum member kindly responded though he was not able to suggest how I might do so. As I live in France I bought the sub from a Spanish dealer for fear of incurring hefty Brexit duties. This is why I did not buy from the UK dealer who was optimistic about the connection. It will cost me more than half the initial cost of the sub to return it.
I watch in awe as forum members deal with what appear to me to be breathtakingly complicated issues. Somebody somewhere out there must have a definitive answer to mine which appears so much simpler! You cannot imagine how grateful I would be.
I've already attempted to assist you and answered your questions as best i can in your previous thread.
You will be able to connect it, however, as i suggested, i think you need a Sub out on the speakers to connect a Sub and actually get any output, Aux is usually Aux IN and is used to allow an external audio device such as an MP3 player/DAP which doesn't have speakers, to output audio via your Edifier speakers.

You have the equipment, the only way you'll get a definitive answer is to try for yourself, as i might be completely wrong as might the UK Supplier.

It would probably have helped if you attached a few pics of the speakers. Non the less, according to what pics I've found online technically the US agent was correct and it isn't possible to attach the sub "direct" to the speakers.

There are other ways to run them as a 2.1 setup but results will vary. What source are you using and what is the Marantz amp (include picture of back)?

It would probably have helped if you attached a few pics of the speakers. Non the less, according to what pics I've found online technically the US agent was correct and it isn't possible to attach the sub "direct" to the speakers.

There are other ways to run them as a 2.1 setup but results will vary. What source are you using and what is the Marantz amp (include picture of back)?
I've linked his last thread Edifier still unconnected As he never replied and had stated he had initiated a return, i assumed it was done and dusted!

I've linked his last thread Edifier still unconnected As he never replied and had stated he had initiated a return, i assumed it was done and dusted!

I think a return or selling it on would be the best option to be fair so OP could start afresh paying closer attention to what they want to achieve and speaker compatibility.

Shane! If I failed to reply I truly apologise because I thought I had done so. I am grateful for your responses and those of "Mission". It is galling to find that having been advised by a supplier that the speakers and subwoofer can be connected it now appears they cannot. La Poste France will charge over 70 euros for the return! I have still had no response from Edifier Support or Customer Care. Perhaps it is stuck somewhere in Egypt. Happy listening with or without those deep bass notes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom