Question How to overcome interference from other devices??

Deleted member 134693

Reaction score
Hello.

I've got 3 nest thermostats installed at home but one kept going offline so I couldn't do anything with it via the app.

I've just come off a chat with Nest and they've asked me to unplug various items in my house as they thought it was an interference issue. Up on unplugging the ethernet lead connected to my POE adaptor the nest come back online. As soon as I plug the lead back in to the router it goes off so I'm 99.9% sure this is the issue!!

I'm limited by my ISP so pretty much stuck with sky and using one of their hubs at the moment. I'm using TP link POE adaptors and my CCTV is HiKvision.

I've not had time to change anything yet - like a direct cable to the DVR rather than using POE - but the way my house / rooms are I'll most likely need to use POE of some sort.

I'm also considering changing my router as a few people have said the TP Link AC 1200 is a much better router but will it solve any interference issues...?

Or is there a simple setting I can change with my current system that may stop the interference??

Thanks for any help anyone can give me - its all a little over my head at the moment!!

Are you sure you mean POE - Power Over Ethernet (supplying endstations with electrical power over the UTP "ethernet" cable") and not "Powerline/HomePlugs" which is about tunneling data traffic over the mains electrical circuit?

Changing routers will make no difference to any issues with POE and/or HomePlug/powerline.

It's possible you've got an IP address conflict (if so, disconnecting the links to the devices causing it resolves it.) IP conflicts are pretty simple to fix and again a new router is not required.

Thank you for the reply.

I have POE plugs for my cameras and home plugs to get the internet upstairs for the DVR etc.

Would you be able to explain (in the simplest terms possible) how I'd go about fixing the IP conflict so I can reconnect my CCTV and use my Nest thermostat too as I don't really have a clue!

Most NVRs use a separate IP range/subnet for the cameras fed from their built-in POE switch, so depending on how you’ve tried to add the cameras that may be the cause of your issue. Or your NVR may have been set up with a fixed IP address before that is now wrong if you have changed ISP eg the gateway address of the router may be wrong or even a completely different subnet etc.

So you need to start with the basics and try wiring everything with ethernet first, even if it’s all put close together temporarily, and see if that makes any difference. You could also try an IP scanner such as Fing or similar to see if that identifies any obvious address conflicts on your network.

On an IP LAN, every device must have a unique IP address. If more than one device has the same IP address, one or other (sometimes both) will stop working. If the IP address duplicated is one of the more "important" end stations on the network, such as your router, having something else with the same IP address it can knock out Internet access for everything.

There are some complexities in that it is possible to have multiple LAN's and/or IP "subnets" (as they are known) on the same physical infrastructure, but in SOHO kit it tends to use a much simpler paradigm of a single IP subnet for everything with a common range of addresses.

If investigations such as Neil suggests do not yield a solutions, then it may be worthwhile checking out your IP address mapping and see if there is a clash. Literally, take a piece of paper (or a speadsheet or whatever,) and go check what IP address each device is using. Check on the device itself, not the router's DHCP Lease table or any fancy graphics the router may show for "attached devices." The only useful information to gain from the router it it's own IP address and the range of IP addresses being managed by the routers DHCP Server (note "Server" not "Client" - it will have both). You could thence verify the addresses of the devices themselves against what is shown in the router DHCP Lease table and see if they correspond.

Whilst you are at it, you might also check everything (except the router) has the same "subnet mask" (almost always 255.255.255.0 in SOHO kit) and "default gateway" which should be the router's IP address.

Last edited:
Thanks both for your excellent replies...I'll start investigating and see if I can get my head around it!! :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom