1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to organise your music for the NW-HD5?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kwan_dk, Aug 21, 2005.

1. kwan_dk

kwan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

My old and trusted minidisc player is finally beginning to give up on me after more than five years of constant playing and I’m now keen on getting my hands on an mp3-player. I’ve read review after review, and held the different options up against each other and it seems as if Sony’s NW-HD5 would be the ideal player for me, mainly due to the long battery life, replaceable battery and lack of extra functions such as radio, calendar and the like which I already know that I’d never, ever use. It’s my favourite music and the sound of it that’s most important to me.

I have one minor concern though, that I hope some of you could help me out with. Bear over with me if the following turns out to be an extremely stupid question, because, like I said, I’m totally new to all things mp3.

My concern is this:

What I really loved about my old minidiscs player was the way that I could mix and compile custom-made collections on various discs, i.e a disc with a summer mix of various tunes from a wide variety of artists or for instance a soul minidisk made up of a lot of different stuff. Which possibilities for this does the NW-HD5 offer? Everyone seems to agree that the Sonicstage software that goes with the program stinks, so my concern is whether it limits your possibilities for making folders with songs originating from different albums. Can you for instance compile a ‘Motown’ folder in Sonicstage with songs ripped from various cds and then transfer the folder effortlessly to the player? Or can you only do this AFTER the songs have been transferred to the player in each their old folder, named after the album of origin? Do you then have to compile a ‘Motown’ folder on the actual player – and I guess that’s what you’d call a playlist? – mind you, I’m totally new to all things mp3 and therefore also ‘playlists’…. Are the playlists on the NH-HD5 made to be used permanently or only for one sitting?

Also; what’s the shuffle-function like? Any fancy options there or is it rather limited?

If someone here could explain to me which possibilities the NH-HD5 offers music lovers like me who like to tinker around with and customise their music collections, I would be extremely grateful.

With regards
    Martin, Denmark

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    Welcome to the forums Martin, I'm sure one of the HD5 owners will answer your question soon :)
    Although I have an iPod I still use my old portable minidisc a lot - like you I have many minidiscs that I made up with great compilations.

3. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not 100% what you are after but I will hazard a reply :)

Basically SonicStage isn't all that bad...it can't hurt to try it unless you are a complete novice to computer applications. 3.1 isn't bad, version 3.2 is supposed to be better.

To be honest the iPod seems to be the most dynamic in relation to playlists but the HD5 is ok. With regards to your question...

Unfortunately with all the MP3 players (DAPs) I've experienced, artists are stored in a seperate structure on compilations so if you search by Artist you will get the albums tracks split into artists.

One thing you could do is label the "genre" for the tracks as "Motown 1" or whatever, and then select the appropriate genre from the list on the HD5 when you want to play them. You would probably have to edit the tags, probably in sonicstage for all the tracks you wanted, after ripping for convenience.

Onto playlists (Bookmarks on the HD5)...

Basically playlisting is pretty crap on the HD5 to be honest. In order to add a track to a bookmark on the move you have to be playing the song you want to add, such as "What's Going On", and then press the 'UP' arrow on the HD5 and select the appropriate bookmark. This data is stored even after you power off, with support up to 100 tracks per playlist. You can also do this in Sonicstage, although I haven't bothered with this yet.

The shuffle function is standard for most DAPs, which means basically it just shuffles all the tracks with no fancy extras. You can shuffle individual albums or the entire lot of songs by using the 'UNIT' function in options but seek the manual for that one.

PS. You can't create folders on the player, artists > albums > tracks seems to be the structure and this is done by editing the tags of the files before/after you rip the cds or whatever. Try sonicstage and you should get the hang of it in practice.

4. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Martin from Denmark,

No, that's not true. There are plenty of people, including me, who don't have a problem with it. I think it's fine.

There's no problem doing what you want, which is mixing different songs from different albums into one collection. There are a few different ways to do it.

The usual way, which is similar to the first method you described, is to rip (import) your CDs into SonicStage as separate albums. You can then create playlists within SonicStage (not on the player) and add songs to them, in any order you like, from any of the albums you've imported. You would then transfer the albums and the playlists to the player. That way, you can listen to the albums in their entirety, or you can listen to the playlists that you've compiled. These playlists are permanent.

If you have no interest in keeping the original albums intact and just want the one "folder" of songs, you can easily change the "album" field for each song in SonicStage from its original name to, say, "Motown". Tick the option for each track that identifies it as part of a compilation, and you will have essentially created your own album called "Motown" that you can then transfer to the player.

You can shuffle all tracks on the player, all tracks in an album, all tracks by an artist, all albums by an artist, all tracks in a genre, all artists in a genre, and all tracks in a playlist.

There are many possibilities. I'm sure you won't have a problem arranging your music collection in whatever way you want.

Andrew

5. kwan_dk

kwan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the various explanations you supplied me with. Well, now I'm pretty positive that there won't be any real problems. I'll just have to look a little into Sonicstage before and after purchasing the player.

Again; thanks for helping me out.

with regards
    Martin

6. kwan_dk

kwan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, and by the way . That reminds me, can anyone, off the cuff, supply me with a link for downloading Sonicstage 3.2?

Cheers.

Martin