1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to organise 'various artist' compilations

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Russ, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Fellow HD5 (H) owners !
    I am stuck on a couple of things;

a) What does 'UNIT' do in the menu ?(read the manual and still no wiser)

b) How do I organise things in SS 3.1 (for xfer to the HD5) so that for compilation albums, I can still search by artists if I want, but dont have the 'Artists' find list (on the HD5) polluted by many many artists names with only one song attached (if you see what I mean).
    I thought of just putting attaching the artist name to the start of the song title and having the song artist set as 'Various', which when selected would bring up a list of compilation albums.

c) Not stuck on this one :)
    Just bought the Future Sonics EM3. Such clarity ! makes the supplied headphones sound like you are listing through a pillow in comparison !

Thanks !
    R

2. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My advice, with VA compilations is either to make an M3U or SonicStage playlist and deal with it that way. That won't stop your Artists list becoming populated by one several artists that only have one track, but that is always going to be a problem on players that use a database.

3. Anonyrat

Anonyrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson:
    What I do is - Lets say you have 10 tracks with or without artist info etc....
    * Select album listing in My Library - by Import date This brings them to the top
    * Right click on the first one and select properties
    * Only change the following...
    * In the Title enter the Album Name eg Rock Compilation 1 - Highlight this and CTRL_C to copy to the clipboard
    * Click the compilation box
    * click on NEXT bottom left
    * It will go to the next track - In title CTRL_V to paste the Album name
    * Click the compilation box
    * click on NEXT bottom left etc etc till all tracks have been done....Now click OK

* Now all tracks should be under the one Album - Rock Compilation 1
    * Right click on this album and select properties
    * Now change the Artist to Various Artists (press V to go there quickly if you already have Various Artists)
    * Change the Initial to V
    * Change the Genre (to in this case Rock ) Done :clap:

* Now double click on this album to bring up all the tracks, you will see that it retained the original track artists and genre if different. This may seem long winded but once done a couple of times it goes very quickly.

Cheers