1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to nurture your new screen?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by j633295, May 27, 2005.

1. j633295

j633295
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

As I am waiting for my first plasma - PV500 to arrive on the door step, I would like to find out what are the essentials I should follow when dealing with a new plasma screen

1) Do I need to buy a DVE for calibration immediately? Is it really essential?
    2) Set pic. settings on normal mode during the Burn-in period (100 +900hrs)?
    3) anything else??????

Please can someone shed the lights for a newbie?

2. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have just had my whole set up installed, and this was wot Liam told me:

Calibration is pretty important but not immediately - DVE is fine for a start professional later is best apresee 100 hrs.....
    keep contrast and brightness low-ish for first 100 hours...
    try not to watch too many back to back 2.35 films over first few days to avoid screeny burny but pannies are good anyways...
    good cabling please but not OTT...
    dotn watch 4:3 too mcuh if at all...

lastly, enjoy the buzz???

dil

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    From what I have seen, the PV500 is very similar to the 7 series - you don't need to get fussed about screen burn provided you don't do something stupid - avoid resolutions that have black bars side / top for hours, don't leave speedometers etc on screen for hours when playing games, switch off dynamic mode.

Get DVE if you want to try setting up the panel yourself - it will get you close, but there are a heap of patterns on the DVD that will be of little use without equipment to analyse them - there are a few of us in the UK that have the kit, check the banner adverts!

Welcome to the world of plasma, when done right it is stunning.

4. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, playing Xbox for 30-45 mins is OK then? Burns should only happen when playing for hours and hours non-stop?

5. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hi all i have been lurking in the background for a while,i currently have a samsung sp50(dlp)but i have had 4 DLP'S since january and all have developed faults so as you can imagine im a bit fed up,so i am currently looking at the pv500 as an alternative now i have my pc and x-box running through my sp50 and use them quite a bit now i see kOrn has said that 30-40 minutes playing time should be ok....is that all???also my sp50 has a native resolution of 1280-768 compared to a lower rez on plasma,will i notice much difference? and finally i saw a pv500 showing hi-def through the japanese hi-def box they use via component?which of course in still analogue?and even though i thought the pq was very good my sp50 via hdmi is still better so has anyone seen hi-def via dvi or hdmi through the pv500 and also a dlp rear projecter tv and is it as good sorry if ive posted in the wrong area and thanks for any help you can give me

sheep

6. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to make my point clear: I´m not sure how long you can use your plasma in the first 100 hours without the risc of burn-ins...

But if it´s 30-45 mins then I´m totally OK with that. (in the first 100 hours)

7. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    The new panny plasmas are a particular resilient breed of panel and even during the first run in period you should be ok to play games for more than an hour with out it causing a problem. Make sure contrast and brightness levels are low for this run in time and then when you are ready, reset all the levels with DVE or AVIA. This will help give the best all round results.
    Problems with screen burn and image retention often occur when the brightness and contrast levels are set to high and the same static image is on hour after hour after hour with no break and nothing else being displayed in that particular spot. Its not just plasmas that can have this problem, you expose a crt to the same static image for long enough, you can burn the screen on them as well.
    A lot of the very early plasmas would be quite susceptible to screen burn and image retention, Over time and development the technology has changed and made them better resistant, I think when the pw7 was first launched there were rumours of it being CRT like in its screen burn resistance. However because flat panel TVs are becoming more main stream and popular some of the old rumours are coming back about how you can damage the screen by watching widescreen movies and playing games and even about getting them regased :eek: (the last one of which ,is of course ,total pish) :D

8. syntax error

syntax error

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got the Hitachi PD7200, and I left my x box on the dashboard for about 10 mins, I can now see the image retention of the spiderman dashboard skin!

Surely this is not right? It seems to be fading but it has made me very wary. any tips?

Oop, just read your advice and realise my contrast was at +31! EEK! Just moved it down to +2.

The spiderman image is virtually all gone now.

9. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about logos of TV stations? I frequently watch High Def TV Shows that have logos of e.g. ABC or Fox in it... (the usual 20/45min show like 24 etc) - should I be worried here?

10. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    no, not for 24 or 45 or twice as long - mosts dogs are failrly translucent anyway.

11. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

PLus most tv stations take the logo in the corner of the screen away when the averts come on thus giving the screen a break as well.

Like I have said before, follow the advise on this forum and dont worry :)

12. pgc

pgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advice for a plasma virgin please.

Just took delivery of a 42pv500 (to replace sammy dlp which gave me no end of problems). When you say to keep contrast and brightness down for the first 100 hours, well how down do you mean? The panny just has the traditional horizontal bar with no numerics so in percentage terms what should I be looking at?

Thanks.

13. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Just take it out of the dynamic mode and set it to cinema or normal and you will be fine.

14. pgc

pgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

I went for DLP a few months ago because of the worry of screen burn. I've just returned my sammy dlp unit because of what looks like a white burn or heat mark from the lamp in the centre of the screen.

Guess no technology is perfect.

15. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my wife and i have always thought that breast is best for the nurturing of your new baby.Here is my wife breast feeding a PW6 panel :D

[​IMG]

16. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm nurturing my 435XDE, but it's also a useful excercise to look carefully with no input source selected and see which images from which broadcasters are retained, despite their efforts. OK you can 'clean' the display with more viewing and image retention is not the same as burn.

But my simple mind tells me that an image retained is more likely to be a burn if left there. Anybody with a new 435, after you've followed the advice, look at BBC News24 for half an hour and you'll get the picture.

17. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. DWF

DWF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep i want!

So.......(looks down to the ground while kicking a wee stone) what part of Manchester?

(Evil Smile)

19. j633295

j633295
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for their advice :thumbsup:

I have set both brightness and contrast at 33% for now (planned for the first 100hrs) and then raise them to 50% for the next 900 hrs.

After 1000 hrs, I intend to try using DVE to obtain the best balanced picture settings. :)

Thanks again! :clap: