1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to my new hd5

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by turbo1, Aug 14, 2005.

1. turbo1

turbo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there before i start loading up my player,any suggestions on the best organised way to load them and what settings for the best sound quality. p.s my whole pc collection is about 10 gb.
    thanks alot. :thumbsup:

2. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Having spent hours organising my 40gig collection for my Zen, the best advice I can give you is to just have a consistent set of ID3 tags. Proper Genres, Artist names and Album names help so so much

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    What did you use to rip your music?

SS (for Sony HD DAPs) organises music slightly diff from normal;

If you go to directory, music is stored in folders by album

But my MP3s were stored by artist by iTunes. So when importing the MP3s to SS, fields were incorrect. I had to edit about 80 MP3's. At least I saved the other 720 tracks to rip with SS....

But this is unique to iTunes? It is the only program I've come across that stores music in seperate artist folders (loads of folders for rap fans). Apples way to make illegal activities harder

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My advice: keep any of the fields to no more than 60 characters. You'll be able to view more than this in SonicStage, but not on the player.

5. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The most awesome program I use is tag&rename.

It really is excellent.

Try it for id3 mgmt.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No substitute for messing around in SonicStage and learning what its pluses and minuses are. Get a feel for it, and it should serve you well enough ...

7. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Have you tried Tagandrename?

It is bloody excellent. Example, take an album that has no id3 detail, T&R will trip over to Amazon, download the id3 detail from the site, the artwork AND a review and incorporate it into the tunes.

I`ve got about 40 GB of music, so I know about zero id3 pain. :eek: :suicide:

This prog has made it 1000% easier.

(no I dont work for them!)

But everyone should have a stab with it :smashin:

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Love this talk of tagging and renaming - will check out these programs - but I think Turbo's question is more about music management in the broader sense, no? Perhaps I'm wrong ...

9. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I figured tagging and renaming was music management? :)

10. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only part of it. Think of what Win Media Player or iTunes allows you to do in terms of, say, advanced playlisting. This is also music management. :)

11. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As others have pointed out, the most important thing is to make sure your tags are right. Look out for mispellings and inconsistent capitalization, as they'll end up as different entries. Tagscanner is another program you can try.

It helps to know the hierarchy the HD5 uses to organise tracks, which is: Genre->Artist->Album->Track. For example, I always use the Genre search category so I make sure the Genre field is set to something that's useful and makes sense to me.

You can only see 16 characters at a time on the HD5 before it scrolls, so you may need to abbreviate fields if you want to distinguish them easily in lists. Also, if you have a lot of albums all called "Greatest Hits" or similar, you may want to include the name of the artist in there.

As for sound quality, just check the FAQ and do a search in this forum for previous posts on the subject. There are many!

Andrew

12. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just thought I'd like to add an unrelated observation...

Regarding the backlight on the HD5, even if you set it to 10seconds, When you return to the playbackscreen and the name of the songs scrolls, for longer than 10 seconds, the light will remain on until the name has finished scrolling. I discovered this when i was in bed and listening to a song, then i thought after the backlight turned off, that was a long 10 seconds, tried it again by resetting the song, it stayed on for about 38 seconds, which just happened to be when the last character of the title left the screen.
    This is important to Shadowitten and other people that use the full length available when naming tracks, how many is it? 60 characters?
    For a 52 character song the backlight stayed on for 27 seconds. SO it takes nearly 2 seconds for each character, its probably not linear but roughly.
    This means that when playing long named songs the battery will not last as long!

Noone probably cares but just like to point it out.

Regarding quality and song management, rip at Atrac 256 for great quality, 64, for less quality but smaller file size/more songs or 192kbps for a compromise between the both. Atrac will have better sound quality than mp3 or anything for any given bitrate, it also allows gapless playback (no pauses between the songs, like normal cd players). Mp3 will have small gaps between the songs.
    DOwnload and use SS3.2 to rip songs without DRM copy protection so you can back the songs up without having to re rip your whole collection. Probably good idea to set SS to rip using jitter protection, it may take longer, but its far more annoying, and longer when your listening to a song and it jitters at a certian spot, then having to go and rip it again. Use a good CD drive to rip, preferably a DVD or CDR/RW drive because it can read damaged, scrated, etc CDs better and will also stop jittering, it may be faster too. Also don't do things on the computer while its ripping or transferring, it uses alot of resources and limiting them will slow it down major and possibly cause a jitter or error when reading/writing.
    Make sure all the ID3 tags and names are correct before importing and ripping, saves hassle later when you find your whole collection with wrong names and jumpled up on the player.
    BOth mp3 and ATrac are allowed to use the sound settings called 'digital sound presets' on the player, and this EQ seems to sound the best. The other settings arn't available for MP3 except for EQ off.
    If you want to convert mp3s to atrac to get the EQ settings then convert it to half the bitrate it is in MP3, so 128 mp3 convert it to 64kbps atrac. Only use atrac 64, 192 and 256, the others dont work and 48kbps sounds crap. A higher bitrate will take more battery power. And mp3 will take more power too.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

13. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    All good comment Sasso :smashin:

14. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, it is a good point.

You know what would be good: if you could specify a different "Invert Screen" setting for when the backlight is on from when the backlight is off. I like to use the "Negative" setting (black background) as I think it looks better and is easier on the eyes, but when the backlight is off, the screen is much easier to read on the "Positive" setting (white background). So it would be great if the screen could be Negative when the backlight is on, but Positive when the backlight is off. Just a bit of wishful thinking :)

Andrew

15. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oooh, I like THAT idea!

16. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, good idea, its things like these that people should be able to adjust, they should have the freedom of setting the player exactly the way they want it. If only we could make our own players.