How to mute speaker sound on Denon 3805 when using headphone amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Technophile, Aug 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Technophile

Technophile
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I want to connect my Rega Ear headphone amp (h-amp) to a Denon 3805 surround receiver. What I want to do is:

When I connect the headphone, I want to be able to mute the speakers (this is necessary, because I don't want to disturb my neighbours. Besides, I don't want the speaker sound to 'interfere' with the headphone sound).

But so far I haven't been able to get this to work. I've read the manual and tried connecting the h-amp to the tape out connectors on the Denon (choosing Zone 2 as signal output), and this works fine with analog sound, but not with digital sources (as stated in the manual). I've also tried pre-out, but then I can't prevent the sound from going to the speakers as well. I also want to be able to adjust the volume using Denon's remote control (this isn't a 'requirement', but it would be very practical).

Does anyone (3805 owners with first-hand experience?) know if it's possible at all to connect a headphone amp to the Denon 3805 and mute the speakers, without muting the signal sent to the h-amp?

Your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. mcsdan

mcsdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Have you tried the speaker button on the either the front panel or remote. They normally are labelled as A or B.

Dan

3. Technophile

Technophile
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There are no speaker buttons. If there were, my problem would have been solved easily :)

4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I've tried to do something similar with my 3802, using cordless headphones.
    As you say, mixing digital and analogue sources causes problems. Fortunately the sender on my 'phones has both analogue and digital inputs, so I can connect 2 sets of cables (tape out and optical out).

Any output that's controlled by the Denon's volume control will come after the pre-amp, so you might as well just connect the 'phones to the headphone socket.
    In fact, using the headphone socket is probably the only way to get both analogue and digital sources to the 'phones. Does the Rega sound that much better than the Denon headphone socket?
    The only reason I didn't want to use the Denon headphone socket was because it means having a plug and cable sticking out the front.

5. Technophile

Technophile
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm afraid cordless headphones are out of the question due to the lower audio quality. One of the reasons I'm using a headphone amp is that I want better sound. But thanks for your suggestion anyway :)

I do get sound from both analog and digital sources when using analog outputs, but the problem is that there's sound still coming from the speakers.

Yes, it does sound better (not surprisingly, since the Rega costs $200), but if I can't find a practical solution I simply have to drop the whole idea.

6. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I wasn't suggesting that you used cordless headphones, just that I was doing a similar thing (line out to external device). I realise that most cordless 'phones sound bad, but I'm happy wth my Sony surroundsound IR set for TV listening. No good for music, though.

Would it be possible to connect your source component(s) directly to the Rega? If you could do this, maybe with a phono switcher, you could turn the Denon off, and use the volume control on the source component. If the source components don't have volume controls, you could use a separate pre-amp. Something like a Naim 42 can be found very cheaply, and shouldn't degrade the sound quality.

The best headphones I've ever heard were some electrostatics. IIRC, they were made by a company called PWB (or something similar), and cost me well over £100 25+ years ago. Unfortunately, the transformer box blew up.

7. PeteD64

PeteD64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    What if you plugged some cheap headphones into the Denon headphone socke to mute the speakers but run your amp from the pre-outs?

8. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Sounds like an excellent idea!
    In fact, it should work with just a 1/4" stereo jack plug (no headphones connected).