How to mute sound but not the input level?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by RupertBear, Jan 14, 2008.

1. RupertBear

RupertBear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This must be the simplest question, only I just can't figure it. I'm outputting music from one computer to another where I want to record it (Adobe Audition). The input is via the mic socket. I'm using "Master Volume" to control the recording level in Audition on the receiving computer, but it also controls the speaker volume. If mute it via the tick box I lose the recording level. How can I mute the speaker so the room is silent and still keep the recording volume OK?

I suppose I could add a pair of headphones and stuff them under a cushion, but it's not a very sophisticated solution :D

2. RupertBear

RupertBear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I did add a pair of headphones and stuffed them in a drawer, but it's not quite the sophisticated solution I was hoping for!

The reason for doing it was that for some reason trying to record on the same computer produced digital hiccups on the playback, so I thought it easier to playout on one and record on another. It worked well except for this irritating failing, so if you have a solution I would still like to know.

Thanks