Question How to match speaker separates together

Geordie2004

Apologies if this question has come up before, but I couldn't see any similar threads.

I'm currently pondering the possibility of upgrading my front speakers (currently using Kef Cresta 10s, and two more of these as rear speakers, plus a Kef Cresta C as a centre speaker). I will most likely use my current front speakers to go to a 7.1 set-up once they have been replaced. I imagine I will also upgrade my centre speaker at some point too, but that will be quite a bit down the line, I suspect. I use my set-up for watching movies, playing games and listening to music (pretty much all in 5.1, I don't bother going to stereo mode for anything really).

My question is: what is the best way to decide which speakers would work best in this set-up? Frequency range and power requirements are fine, but of course they can only tell you so much about how well speakers will work together.

Secondly, does anyone have any specific upgrade recommendations for me?

Thanks in advance, all. :)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Do you feel you are missing something with them/don`t like the sound or just bored and looking upgrade? Budget? Standmount or floorstanding speakers?

I had the maple coloured Cresta 30 floorstanders, center and those 10 standmounters when i was very young. :) They were very cheap, i remember the floorstanding model was cheaper than iQ standmount model as i was thinking them too. Nowadays KEF doesn`t have "cheap" hifi lines anymore.
http://uk.kef.com/explore-kef/kef-museum/2000s/cresta-10-cresta-20c-cresta-30-2002-05

Which receiver and subwoofer you got there?

If listening lot of multi-ch music and then having totally different sounding main speakers could disturb you. The same can be true with movies, so aiming to upgrade front three is often recommended, doing it in parts is fine and prefered if budget is tight.

We can assume you have older receiver cause looking for 7.1 . Nowadays people jump more on the Atmos wagon than 7.1 . Are you planning to place the speakers similar to this: 7.1 Surround Speakers Setup | Dolby Laboratories

Geordie2004

The sound is okay, but I'm mindful of how cheap they are and I would like something with a bit more power/energy, if that makes sense. Budget of £300-500 for fronts. Standmount for sure, sadly I can't fit two floorstanders into my room due to the current furniture set-up.

Subwoofer is a BK XLS200, definitely not upgrading that any time soon as I love it to pieces. Receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR608, you are correct that it is an older one. Pondering upgrading it to an Atmos capable one down the line, but not for a while yet.

Yeah, that makes sense. I don't really listen to multi-channel music a lot, mostly just stereo stuff upmixed into surround. Planning on upgrading my centre speaker down the line too, but probably won't do it all in one fell swoop, though I might change my mind on this depending on prices.

Speaker set-up will be somewhat similar to that, yes. Like a lot of people I have to compromise on such things to an extent, mostly around the height of my surrounds (rears will be on shelves directly above sitting position, and my rear/side speakers will also be a little higher than ideal.

Thoughts? :)

D

Deleted member 39241

I think speaker matching is over-rated. There, I said it! I have a couple of systems in my house that have grown over time as speakers have been bumped around from room to room. I do like Kef, so most of my speakers are Kef Q series from various years, but I also have some Dali Pico, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, and Kef R series.

For front mains, try the Kef R Series, they are a seriously lush sounding speaker, if you listen to 2 channel music and like a nice warm sound. Peter Tyson have them on closing out sale, as a new range has recently come out. If you can afford the R300, they should keep you happy for many years, but with your BK sub for support, you would also be okay with the cheaper and smaller R100.

For surround and Atmos speakers, I think the Kef Cresta's would be fine. I have tried many centre speakers and have settled on Klipsch. They have a horn tweeter and a high sensitivity, real world use is that, in my room anyway, it creates very clear and natural sounding dialogue without requiring much power.

I think a new AVR might need to be on your shopping list at some point also.

Geordie2004

I think speaker matching is over-rated. There, I said it! I have a couple of systems in my house that have grown over time as speakers have been bumped around from room to room. I do like Kef, so most of my speakers are Kef Q series from various years, but I also have some Dali Pico, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, and Kef R series.

For front mains, try the Kef R Series, they are a seriously lush sounding speaker, if you listen to 2 channel music and like a nice warm sound. Peter Tyson have them on closing out sale, as a new range has recently come out. If you can afford the R300, they should keep you happy for many years, but with your BK sub for support, you would also be okay with the cheaper and smaller R100.

For surround and Atmos speakers, I think the Kef Cresta's would be fine. I have tried many centre speakers and have settled on Klipsch. They have a horn tweeter and a high sensitivity, real world use is that, in my room anyway, it creates very clear and natural sounding dialogue without requiring much power.

I think a new AVR might need to be on your shopping list at some point also.

Ooooh, controversial! :) Not sure I agree, but to be fair I also don't think I've really played around with mismatched systems enough to comment, so eh.

Thanks for the tips, though! I agree, the Crestas should do fine as surround speakers.

I do want a new receiver at some point, but there's no immediate need for one just yet as mine does everything I need it to really (sure, Atmos and 4K passthrough would be nice, but very far from essential, especially in my current room).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom