1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make your own PVR8000T update cable

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Ikki, Jul 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    As we all know the PVR8000T firmware can be updated by OTA or via an RS232 link from a PC. With the 7 day EPG now available at many transmitters across the country, it is a good time to update to the latest firmware so that the EPG works on your box. The OTA for this is expected late August according to Humax, if you want the functionality sooner then the PC/RS232 path is the only way.

For reasons known only to themselves, Humax have chosen to use a weird connector on the PVR8000T which prevents use of a standard 9 pin D type RS232 crossover cable to do the update. Users have reported that an adaptor cable is available from Humax, but the RS232 crossover cable still has to be acquired. If you fancy a (very minor) challenge, why not make your own cable.

The key to this exercise is getting hold of the 3 pin mini din plug, which is not absolutely standard.

I bought my parts from CPC in Preston (www.cpc.co.uk) but most electronic parts suppliers should have them as well (note: Maplin have discontinued 3 pin mini Din plugs).

You will need:

3 pin mini Din plug CPC PNo CN00632
    9 pin submin D type socket CPC PNo CN00804
    9 pin submin D type socket hood CPC PNo CN06052
    The cable type is not critical for this application. I used:
    4 core alarm cable CPC PNo CBBR3039

The cost of the parts comes to less than £3.

Connect the plugs and cable as shown in the wiring diagram. While you have the Din plug apart, carefully remove the plastic guide pin located in the centre of the plug, the standard size is wider than the hole in the Humax Din socket, but it is not really neccessary.

Download the update software and the actual update file from HSCA. Connect up your PC and PVR (keep the pvr off), run the update software, locate the update file and turn on the PVR; the rest is automatic.

My PVR is an early example with the 06 loader but updated without any problems. The 7 day epg seems to be fully working after the update. Late models will not need this update if they have the pgttf10011 firmware already installed.

:thumbsup:

N.B You do this at your own risk, no responsibility will be accepted for any problems or damage resulting from following the above instructions. :lesson:

Attached Files:

2. pgnl

pgnl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I emailed Humax in Northern Ireland with my name and address and they sent me an adaptor in the post the same day. You'll still need a serial crossover cable, but I already had one for my old Humax F1-Fox sat receiver....

3. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    You don't need the crossover cable with this cable, the crossover is included in the wiring layout. I know that Humax supply the cables, it's just more satisfying to do it yourself.

4. hollins1987

hollins1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to admit that this seems really interesting. I have bought a Sony STB, so this doesn't apply to me. But when considering which STB I was to buy, I considered the Humax F2FOX-T. I was wondering...

why is it that under the Humax's STB update website is there updates for the 8000-T but not the F2-FOXT? has there ever been an update for the F2-FOXT STB?

5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I'm not really sure why there are no updates for the other Humax Freeview boxes. The Fox-T in particular seems to be 'joined at the hip' with the PVR8000T , surely it needs a firmware update for the epg as well. They all seem to use similar firmware update methods - the WDN4OAK+ software and RS232.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    is it possible to adapt the humax cable? using a new 9 pin end?

7. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    The Humax cable has a 3 pin mini Din at one end - for the PVR and a 9 pin D type at the other. The pins that the Rx and Tx signals come out on at the D type are the same as those coming out of the RS232 port on the PC i.e. Rx-Rx and Tx-Tx, so it would not work if directly connected. To solve the problem Humax cable users buy a null RS232 cable which swaps the connections over internally giving Rx-Tx and Tx-Rx which works. Cutting off the end of the Humax cable and rewiring correctly with a new 9 pin D type would work, except that I think that the Humax cable is very short (a few inches from the picture). and would not reach between box and PC.

8. malkygb

malkygb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ikki,

I think you need to check the wiriing diagram!! I think the TX and RX are the wrong way around! I have just tried making the lead to your instructions and got it to work by swapping them round! I will post a picture when I have time!

9. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I have checked the diagram out against a working cable and it is correct. :)

10. barrygill

barrygill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for info. followed your instructions for cable and downloaded PGTTF 1.00.14 onto a box with loader 3.06 and all appears well, box was recently bought from 24/7 electricals so bit suspicious how new is new when it came with 3.06 embedded but is working well.

11. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    No problems :thumbsup:

12. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've had no response from Humax trying to get hold of one of their leads; so decided to go down your route of building my own cable.

I couldn't see the point in having the D-sub plug-socket in the model, so went straight from D-sub to mini-Din.

However I cannot get it to work...the software just sits there saying "Waiting for Humax connection". I've tried swapping round the Tx and Rx connections in case I had them muddled but no success. I've tested continuity of all the pins in both configurations and all seems fine.

Is there anything I should be doing on the Humax to tell it to accept the connection.

Is anyone prepared to make me a correct lead for a few quid?

Tennant

13. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Tennant, I don't understand what you mean by this:

If you build the cable as detailed, it's just a single cable with a mini DIN plug at one end and a D type socket at the other end. The reason that it has to be a socket (female) is that the serial/RS232 output on a computer is a plug (male).

Make sure that you are plugging it into the right connection on the computer, the monitor output is a D type socket (sorry if it sounds patronising).

Another thing to check out is that I found that after upgrading my PC to Win XP SP2, the update process through the cable would not work. On the other hand, my laptop which is also SP2 works fine with the update cable, so it may be a Windows issue.

p.s. The Humax must be switched off when you plug the cable in. Start the update software, select the update file location and then turn the Humax power on, at which point the update should start. :smashin:

14. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The official Humax solution has mini-DIN to 9Dmale then 9Dfemale to 9Dfemale null modem lead, which is what I was referring to.

I'm an IT technician, think I can spot the difference!!!...but thanks for suggesting it!

This is a laptop with a clean install on XPsp1 with sp2 subsequently applied.

That I suspect is the subtle bit I'd missed...will give it another try.

Tennant

15. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Sorry Tennant, I wasn't trying to teach you to suck eggs. You have to start advice at the lowest common denominator as posters come from all levels of familiarity, from novice to expert.

I hope that you sort it out soon.

16. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

17. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Is there still no way to update the firmware on these things without using a PC ?
    My firmware still says april 2005, and two other peple I know have the lip sync problems as I do :(

I notice there is a manual firmware option in the menu, any opinions??

Regards,
    Spoony

18. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    You can either update the firmware from a PC with the cable and the latest firmware downloaded from the HSCA site or wait for an over the air (OTA) update, but I wouldn't hold your breath for one of these.

Sceduled updates can be found on this link:

OTA download schedule

The box does an auto OTA update at a specific time usually during the night if you have set it for auto. The manual update just allows you to do an OTA update at any time, the firmware has to be transmitted at the time you run the manual update.

p.s. a quick temporary fix for the lipsync if memory serves me is to press the audio button and select the appropriate language (it's been a while :))

19. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    The funny thing is, that the sound through the scart is nearly right, but through optical its way out, and as I said.. the same on three sets I know of :(

Cheers for your input m8 :thumbsup:

Spoony.

20. nikgrey

nikgrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,
    I have the same problem as tennent - the cable...

I received the cable from Humax today and have been trying to update for a few hours so-far! My WDN40Ak tool just sits there with the message "Waiting for Humax connection"

I too have tried wiring the cable the wrong way around etc and tested for continuity etc etc.

Also something I havent seen anybody mention anything about is setting the baud rate for the com port? surely that has to be the same as the update software.. I have set both to 192000, its things like this that can keep you confused for hours...:(

I am using my laptop for this update, it is sitting ontop of the 8000t so its all nice and tidy - I have xp sp2.

arghhh, I'm sure this isnt the problem but the cable from Humax doesnt seem to go too far into the socket on the back of the pvr - It is secure though and I am sure it is making contact.

If anybody has any suggestions relating to windows setup please post them - I am inclined to think it is windows at fault at the moment!..

I attached an image just to be sure.

Attached Files:

21. pgnl

pgnl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    nikgrey...

I haven't updated mine using a PC for a while, but from what I remember you need to throw the power switch off (on the rear) and on again, for it to jump into action..

You should not need to touch the baud rate...

I hope it works

Patrick
    Worcs..