• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How To: Make your own Granite Plinths

Aerial Man

Established Member
Just set up the system in a new room, and with kids around I thought it would be wise to kiddie proof my Tannoys as much as possible. I am sure that I was not the only one wondering how to make their speakers more stable and/or more appropriately suited to a wooden floor, so I did it and have decided to write a how to.

I have the Tannoy Revolution Signature series speakers and so they were pretty unstable especially using spikes on a smooth floor surface, so I needed to find a solution.

Found these in Wilko's for around £2.50 per piece. Granite trivets are the perfect size for the front DC4t's :thumbsup: and will probably suit other models just aswell.

Next I made a template from a piece of paper and a crayon to mark the positioning of the floor spike threads.

Then I lay the template ontop of the Granite Trivets, and using the missus nail polish I mark the Trivets for hole cutting.

Aerial Man

Established Member
I buy 3x 8mm diamond hole saws from eBay £5 delivered

Set up the bench drill (on the slowest speed setting) with a chip pan and water deep enough to submerge the drilling surface for cooling and lubrication.

Once they are all ready, I take off the old foam pads and replace them with felt pads.

JonnehG

Established Member
But... you've defeated the purpose of actually using the granite plinths? The spikes are still going to go straight through and touch the floor, rendering the plinths useless as an isolation device?

Aerial Man

Established Member
Once all holes were cut through the Granite , I set about bolting them to my speakers utilizing the threads normally used for floor spikes.

I bought new bolts from B&Q and used Grolsch bottle seals as washers inbetween the speaker bottoms and plinths.

And here is the finished articles, much more sturdy than before and look good too.

Also found a good mounting solution for the rears, they are tricky speakers to find mounts for but the Btech Aviball mounts are perfect for this job.

Aerial Man

Established Member
I think they look great, I have 3 kids and one of my Kefs has taken a tumble already. Does that extra bit of weight make all the difference ?

so when does your order book open !

LOL, yeah it does make all the difference especially with the Tannoys because of the shape (abit robin reliant esque).

Improves the sound aswell

bob1

Prominent Member
looks like just the thing i need ,what size and weight are the Granite trivets?
I was going to use some steel plate sprayed black but they look much better.

Aerial Man

Established Member
The trivets are 7,3/4" and weigh about a kilo each. If you want more weight you can always make more plinths and stack them with rubber washers inbetween and longer bolts.

I think 3 trivets per front speaker would pretty much lock them to the floor and be even better for sound, but the 1 each for me seems to be enough and has the desired effect.

If you have bigger speakers you could also buy the granite chopping board and then cut that down to the required size.

bob1

Prominent Member
Thanks for the info ,i popped in to wilko's while out this morning so i,ve seen them in the flesh ,yes the chopping board would be more like it as i need a 30cm square.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom