How to make xbox 720p?

icl

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have a modded xbox running Evox. I have managed to make the xbox NTSC with the special boot disc I downloaded. I have the xbox connected via component cable (the Microsoft HiDef cable) to a HD Ready projector but I cannot seem to get the xbox to output at 720p. How is it done? I have set the xbox at 720p in the M$ settings. Are there any settings in XBMC I have to change?

Does it work with both PAL and NTSC, or just NTSC DVDs?

Cheers! :)

You have to have the Enigmah video switching software installed. It's on any autoinstaller disc.

Install this, run it, press B to select NTSC mode then boot your Xbox to the M$ dash. Go into video options and turn on all HiDef options. Reboot your Xbox to Evox and it's done.

Hi!
I did do the Enigmah switch by pressing B. However, I only enabled 720. I'll try enabling also 1080. Once done, will the DVD program automatically output at 720, or are there other settings to change in the program? Should I watch DVDs with XBMC or the 'DVD region Free' program that came with Evox?

Thanks! :)

Will the xbox upscale SD material to 720? Or will it just output 720 material only if the source is 720?

Cheers :)

The Hi-def configured box will still only play games at their source resolution, it won't upscale games, but trust me, Once enabled, these source resolutions are infinitely better than would be available through PAL with a choice of only one resolution.

Set the skin resolution to 720p in XBMC. Set the video options in XBMC to upscale to GUI. That will sort out upscaling videos, but remember if you have a 1280x720 display, then videos are being upscaled already - it's just now it's XBMC doing it not the TV. Don't expect miracles on standard def. material - try and get some of the 'half' HD TV XviD captures. The recent series of Lost and 24 were both available as 960x540 XviDs and they looked pretty good upscaled.

Get a HD enabled game and you will see a big difference. Soul Calibur II, Tony Hawks Underground, MX v ATV and others...

scumball said:
Set the skin resolution to 720p in XBMC. Set the video options in XBMC to upscale to GUI. That will sort out upscaling videos, but remember if you have a 1280x720 display, then videos are being upscaled already - it's just now it's XBMC doing it not the TV. Don't expect miracles on standard def. material - try and get some of the 'half' HD TV XviD captures. The recent series of Lost and 24 were both available as 960x540 XviDs and they looked pretty good upscaled.

Get a HD enabled game and you will see a big difference. Soul Calibur II, Tony Hawks Underground, MX v ATV and others...
So aside from the game advantages, is this a pointless exercise in pointlessness? Sureley the TV has got to do a better job of upscaling compared with the xbox - its built to do this.
I have configured my xbox to do this and start xbmc, just waiting for the component leads to be delivered. I am getting the feeling that am about to be underwhelmed.
The only +ve I can see out of this is that I have learned a bit more about the xbox.
Is there any anything else that I will gain from all these hours burning the midnight oil and p*ssing the missus off??

meggie_dude said:
So aside from the game advantages, is this a pointless exercise in pointlessness? Sureley the TV has got to do a better job of upscaling compared with the xbox - its built to do this.
I have configured my xbox to do this and start xbmc, just waiting for the component leads to be delivered. I am getting the feeling that am about to be underwhelmed.
The only +ve I can see out of this is that I have learned a bit more about the xbox.
Is there any anything else that I will gain from all these hours burning the midnight oil and p*ssing the missus off??

Well the GUI looks nicer, the Quasi-HD XviD clips look nicer and HD games look great. The only thing I personally am usually underwhelmed with is upscaled standard def material - but then you can't make "**** into shinola"

meggie_dude said:

No, not all the time. With my projector, it seems that SD material is just line doubled to HD. Whereas the Xbox (or any DVD player) should take a look at the total data and produce a higher grade image.

Does depend on your player, scaler and display equipment.

terryeden said:
No, not all the time. With my projector, it seems that SD material is just line doubled to HD. Whereas the Xbox (or any DVD player) should take a look at the total data and produce a higher grade image.

Does depend on your player, scaler and display equipment.
So is there a different xbox player and/or scaler you have installed/retrofitted, or have you used the stock items? This is both H/W and S/W I am refering to.
Also has anyone compared the output to a standard off the shelf upscaling DVD player with hdmi ?
That was going to be one of my options before I heard the reports that my (kids) xbox could be used to do the same (obviously via component- not hdmi).

The Xbox DVD player is always regarded as a poor standard DVD player - it certainly isn't as highly regarded as most dedicated machines on SD or upscaled HD.

However, you are nearly there now so you've got nothing to lose. The HD mod on a Xbox usually costs around £20-£30 for a HD adaptor and a free softmod, you can't get a dedicated machine for that sort of money.

Also remember the other advantages of XviD playback, music and HD games.

scumball said:
The Xbox DVD player is always regarded as a poor standard DVD player - it certainly isn't as highly regarded as most dedicated machines on SD or upscaled HD.

However, you are nearly there now so you've got nothing to lose. The HD mod on a Xbox usually costs around £20-£30 for a HD adaptor and a free softmod, you can't get a dedicated machine for that sort of money.

Also remember the other advantages of XviD playback, music and HD games.
Thanks for the positives.
What video formats can be played ?I had a go at playing the 480p HD stuff downloaded from the apple site via the composite leads for a laugh, but that is obviously far more than the poor ol int graphics card can handle. I didn't expect it to do much with H264 encoded data anyway but thought I'd give it a try. Is it Divx and xviD upscaled at best?
I don't get the option for 480p/720p/1080i in the stock dash menus, I assume they will only appear after I plug in the new component cable and switch to NTSC?

meggie_dude said:

I am not sure what it will look like through component. I've always used an x2vga with my xbox for HD output. Either way, I think it is worth it. There are also tons of filter and tweaking features in the newer xbmc. Make sure you have a new build and check the forums at the oficial xbmc site.

The original xbox will not be able to play the HD content. I am pretty sure I stated that in my original post. It can almost play wmv HD encoded stuff but it is still not watchable.
I have been able to play Quicktime, Divx Xvid, raw avi, Real player crap. MPG 1 2 at all sorts of bit rates and resolutions and everything else through media player.

You wont get any options for HD resolutions in the xbox dash until you have your HD compatible video cable hooked up to it.
Almost all xbox games except for a few support 480p. The Tony Hawk Underground series supports 720p as well as some sports titles play in 720p .. it is like night and day. I don't know how to rate the xbox as dvd player. I don't think Iv'e actually used the XBOX as a "DVD Player". I do know withouth the hack, it will not play back dvd media using progressive scan.

ntloser said:
I am not sure what it will look like through component. I've always used an x2vga with my xbox for HD output. Either way, I think it is worth it. There are also tons of filter and tweaking features in the newer xbmc. Make sure you have a new build and check the forums at the oficial xbmc site.

The original xbox will not be able to play the HD content. I am pretty sure I stated that in my original post. It can almost play wmv HD encoded stuff but it is still not watchable.
I have been able to play Quicktime, Divx Xvid, raw avi, Real player crap. MPG 1 2 at all sorts of bit rates and resolutions and everything else through media player.

You wont get any options for HD resolutions in the xbox dash until you have your HD compatible video cable hooked up to it.
Almost all xbox games except for a few support 480p. The Tony Hawk Underground series supports 720p as well as some sports titles play in 720p .. it is like night and day. I don't know how to rate the xbox as dvd player. I don't think Iv'e actually used the XBOX as a "DVD Player". I do know withouth the hack, it will not play back dvd media using progressive scan.
Hi ntloser :hiya: - and again appreciate all the help you have given me via PM's over the last couple of weeks.
I am close now, so won't need to bother you agin hopefully.:thumbsup:
I have learned a great deal over the last few days and I am sure there is more info to pick up.
I think you are right that you did state it would not support the H264 stuff, just wanted to give it a try. No harm in trying.
Will upload some divx or avi stuff and wait for the postman to arrive.:smashin:

meggie_dude said:
Hi ntloser :hiya: - and again appreciate all the help you have given me via PM's over the last couple of weeks.
I am close now, so won't need to bother you agin hopefully.:thumbsup:
I have learned a great deal over the last few days and I am sure there is more info to pick up.
I think you are right that you did state it would not support the H264 stuff, just wanted to give it a try. No harm in trying.
Will upload some divx or avi stuff and wait for the postman to arrive.:smashin:
JUst checked the spec on the cable I have odered off e-bay (3rd party but looks reasonable'ish spec). There is a note to say that while this will allow ganes to be displayed at 480p,720p,1080i it will only provide Movie playback at 480i :eek:
Is this true?? Can anyone confirm?? I thought provided its set up at NTSC and the high def option selected then it allows upscaling of all things not just games.

meggie_dude said:
JUst checked the spec on the cable I have odered off e-bay (3rd party but looks reasonable'ish spec). There is a note to say that while this will allow ganes to be displayed at 480p,720p,1080i it will only provide Movie playback at 480i :eek:
Is this true?? Can anyone confirm?? I thought provided its set up at NTSC and the high def option selected then it allows upscaling of all things not just games.

Using the stock Xbox DVD player it only outputs 480i (remember these units are designed for stock NTSC Xboxes - not modded ones), using XBMC as the player (as long as you have video scaled to GUI) it will upscale DVDs/videos.

You really need to get a MS cable - the third party ones are notoriously bad at resolutions above 480p.

scumball said:
Using the stock Xbox DVD player it only outputs 480i (remember these units are designed for stock NTSC Xboxes - not modded ones), using XBMC as the player (as long as you have video scaled to GUI) it will upscale DVDs/videos.

You really need to get a MS cable - the third party ones are notoriously bad at resolutions above 480p.
OK thanks. So will have to keep fingers crossed on the cable front - either that or another purchase on the cards.

"as long as you have video scaled to GUI" - sorry not clear here - are you talking switching to NTSC via Enigmah, another setting in dash/XBMC or a TV input setting??

meggie_dude said:
"as long as you have video scaled to GUI" - sorry not clear here - are you talking switching to NTSC via Enigmah, another setting in dash/XBMC or a TV input setting??

This is a setup in XBMC. You set the skin (GUI) of XBMC to the resolution you want i.e 720p/1080i and then there is a setting in the Video section to upscale videos to the GUI resolution. Otherwise it may show them as original resolution - as a small box in the centre of the screen.

scumball said:
This is a setup in XBMC. You set the skin (GUI) of XBMC to the resolution you want i.e 720p/1080i and then there is a setting in the Video section to upscale videos to the GUI resolution. Otherwise it may show them as original resolution - as a small box in the centre of the screen.
Oh - OK. I guess this is an option I will see in any of the dash skins I use once?? and only visible once the component lead is plugged in??
Also, in the Hyundai Q321 thread ntloser showed a screengrab of the original xbox dash which is where he said you had to set this up - rather than the xbmc configs
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3270862&postcount=2829
Is this a case of more than one way to skin a cat, or some thing else I need to do?

When you plug the HD cable in and the Xbox is set to NTSC then in the normal XBox dashboard video settings you have to set all the formats your TV will allow - which are normally all of them 480p, 720p & 1080i (this is mainly because in the US when HD CRT TVs were brought out they could not cope with a 720p signal).

Once this is done, XBMC should allow you to set your GUI to any of the options you allowed in the XBox dash. Most likely to use will be 720p. Please be aware not all XBMC skins have been made for the HD resolutions so best to start with something like Project Mayhem III.

You have to set up the XBox dashboard first, then XBMC.

Why not get XBMC on your machine, set it up with PM III as a skin and get to know the software settings etc in normal PAL/NTSC mode - that way when your HD pack turns up you'll be ready to go.

scumball said:
When you plug the HD cable in and the Xbox is set to NTSC then in the normal XBox dashboard video settings you have to set all the formats your TV will allow - which are normally all of them 480p, 720p & 1080i (this is mainly because in the US when HD CRT TVs were brought out they could not cope with a 720p signal).

Once this is done, XBMC should allow you to set your GUI to any of the options you allowed in the XBox dash. Most likely to use will be 720p. Please be aware not all XBMC skins have been made for the HD resolutions so best to start with something like Project Mayhem III.

You have to set up the XBox dashboard first, then XBMC.

Why not get XBMC on your machine, set it up with PM III as a skin and get to know the software settings etc in normal PAL/NTSC mode - that way when your HD pack turns up you'll be ready to go.
Just got it today mate, and holy cow what a difference. For those of you without component as an option for your set I feel sorry for you. Even my 7yr old said "wow".
Have set up with all HD options ticked and have flicked through the 480p,720p,1080i config to compare them. PQ from HiRes options for any setup are subjective and set and user dependant. Both 720p and 1080i look pretty damb good on my Hyundai with my eyes. Yes the DVD is not mega smooth and the upscaling is not as good as my neighbours Samsung HDMI DVD player, but it does a bl**dy good job with relatively low spec hardware. I know others in other threads slag this option off, but in my opinion it adds a new lease of life to this set. and gives me more than one HD option for my house.
Thanks to all who helped, esp ntloser who I pestered with PM's remorslessly.
Respect.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Footnote - the comp lead I ordered from the US via ebay cost me less than 6 quid inc P&P and looks pretty good quality, even has gold plated connectors. So far no issues during hi-res playback. I know others recommend the pucka microsoft leads, but IMHO this was a bargain.

Hi Guys,

Great thread and good tips...

I am trying to get my hands on an MS HD Cable but can't seem to find one anywhere?

Where did you get yours from and how much did ya pay?

Cheers

Jase

meggie_dude said:
Just got it today mate, and holy cow what a difference. For those of you without component as an option for your set I feel sorry for you. Even my 7yr old said "wow".
Have set up with all HD options ticked and have flicked through the 480p,720p,1080p config to compare them. PQ from HiRes options for any setup are subjective and set and user dependant. Both 720p and 1080i look pretty damb good on my Hyundai with my eyes. Yes the DVD is not mega smooth and the upscaling is not as good as my neighbours Samsung HDMI DVD player, but it does a bl**dy good job with relatively low spec hardware. I know others in other threads slag this option off, but in my opinion it adds a new lease of life to this set. and gives me more than one HD option for my house.
Thanks to all who helped, esp ntloser who I pestered with PM's remorslessly.
Respect.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Footnote - the comp lead I ordered from the US via ebay cost me less than 6 quid inc P&P and looks pretty good quality, even has gold plated connectors. So far no issues during hi-res playback. I know others recommend the pucka microsoft leads, but IMHO this was a bargain.

The XBOX in HD is almost like a new console. Definintely worth the upgrade.

JK23 said:
Hi Guys,

Great thread and good tips...

I am trying to get my hands on an MS HD Cable but can't seem to find one anywhere?

Where did you get yours from and how much did ya pay?

Cheers

Jase
Do you have to have the MS branded one?? If so there is another thread in this forum showing you how to get one from ebay. I think this a xbox to breakout box cable, so you still need a standard phono-phono component lead, + whatever audio lead you choose, to connect to your TV/Home Cinema system.
Otherwise I would recommend the equiv aftermarket component cable I got via e-bay from the states. Single cable - no breakout. With current exch rates cost £5.65 inc P&P and only took a few days to get to me. Reasonable build qual, Gold plated connectors - Works a dream in any hidef resolution. Can PM you the link if you want.

meggie_dude said:

They are just pointing out that the standard DVD player application on the XBox will not output progressive scan even if you are outputting through component. Games which support 480p, 720p and even 1080i will of course work (so long as you have set your modded Xbox to NTSC mode). XBMC will deinterlace and/or scale SD material up to 480p, 720p or 1080i depending on how you have set up the display options within the XBMC application.

I suggest you wait until you get the cable, play around with the system a bit and then you'll be in a position to ask some useful questions.

gav

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom