How to make Wife friendly?

banman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I need some help. My wife just had a go at me... wait! :) ... because she has to use 3 remotes to get up and running on my setup. :/

Heres hardware

Lexicon DC1 (s-vid in)
Sony WEGA CRT (scart in)
DVD player (scart or s-vid out)
Sky (scart out)
VCR (scart in/out)
PS2 (with s-video out)

I've wired the DVD thru the VCR and into the TV (Scarts)
Also the DVD digi audio into the DC1

To play a DVD she has to switch on VCR, switch to L2 (and push some other button), switch the DC1 into DVD and off we go!

I'd love to run all the video & audio thu the DC1 but as its only got composite/s-video I've had probs running the video signals all through the DC1 and out to the TV & VCR.

Has anyone got a nice solution to this?

Would be great just to use the DC1 to switch and run one vid cable to the monitor (TV) and another (rec/zone2) to the VCR. I realise this will involve lots of scart --> s-vid/composite and back to scart for the TV and VCR.

Audio is fine, its the vid signal I had probs with the VCR and TV being output at once. And I had probs with the audio out to the VCR...

And advice appreciated. I'll try to upload a diagram.

Thousand thanks,
B.

I thought about this. But it would ned to be programmable. This type of remote cant fire say 3 or 4 commands with one press can it?

Cheers,
B.

banman said:
I thought about this. But it would ned to be programmable. This type of remote cant fire say 3 or 4 commands with one press can it?

Cheers,
B.

I use a Philips RU950...it's a B&W screen remote,fully programmable and has a large in-built database of codes and preset screens .to get you started.

The programming tools arent the most intuitive,but they do work well,and use a USB connection to link the remote to the PC for that.
Also a huge number of readymade screens and setups available via www.remotecentral.com where it's also reviewed under it's US name....Pronto TSU3000.

banman said:

Cheers,
B.
yes it has a macro function, which means you can programme it so that it will switch on different components and select different items from the menu with the push of just one button.

banman said:
I've wired the DVD thru the VCR and into the TV (Scarts)

That can't be good for the picture quality......

I bought a universal remote - but it could only do parts of things I wanted to do - I eventually just reverted back to the indovidual remotes...sigh...

Replace DC1 with a more modern amp/receiver/processor is an option (if expensive).

scarty16 said:
Replace DC1 with a more modern amp/receiver/processor is an option (if expensive).

It is an expensive option,as anything approaching the Lex's quality(even given it's age) would be over £1k,and it doesnt get round the problems of multiple remotes for the Sky box,Sony TV,DVD player etc.

A decent universal remote,and especially one thats programmable would get round this at less outlay than replacing the processor.

Harmony 655 (only about £50 now i think), will do the job with single presses. Look in the remotes sections for more gen.

I have the Kameleon 6 (Second Gen) remote, it works awsome and I have not lost a single function, all my devices were in the database and I have setup makro's that turn all my equipment on and of it works ace. I paid £80 for mine but its now down to £50 a bargain!!!!

Web Site http://www.oneforall-int.com/

Thanks for the experiences. Will def be having a look at these remotes. I will retry routing the DVD and VCR through the DC1 again - should be doable and will help simplify.

Routing the DVD through the VCR isnt too bad...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom