How to make my Sony HDTV work right?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by charliedontsurf, Dec 13, 2002.

1. charliedontsurf

charliedontsurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I just got my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100HD from Time Warner. I hooked up the component outputs to the component inputs of my 3 year old 36" Sony WEGA XBR (KV-36XBR400).

Problem: I'm seeing a beautiful high def image on the one HDTV channel offered here (HBO), *BUT* for 4:3 material on HBO and all other channels I tune to with the box,

I am only seeing about a 25" image in my 36" tube!

I did some digging. The SA 3100HD is supposed to be outputing 1080i. The component inputs on the back of the Sony are labled 1080i/480p/480i. This should be compatible right?

BTW, when HBO is showing a movie in widescreen letterbox format, the image stretches across the full width of the screen beautifully.

I got a cable guy to come out. Useless of course. I sent an email to Sony tech support earlier tonight. I'm going to try the high end audio store I purchased the set from tomorrow. Anyone have any more ideas?

Thanks
    Myles

2. charliedontsurf

charliedontsurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just tried to upload the PDF's of the cable box datasheet and the TV manual, but I'm not allowed to upload PDF's :confused:

Oh well. Take my word for it. They both say they speak 1080i.

3. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Hi

most members of this forum are in Western Europe where we don't have HDD tv which explains the lack of response. It's a uk based website.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,068
  5. charliedontsurf

charliedontsurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: