How to make HDMI 1 default on Yamaha RX-V773?

Emil Beris

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have connected my Yamaha to a Motorola VIP digital tuner box via HDMI.

My issue is that when i turn my television on with the remote, the receiver doesn't start but i can still see image/sound. I assume it is the HDMI passthrough working? In a perfect world i would like the receiver to turn on as well but it isn't critical since i can turn it on with the yamaha remote.

But the worst part is that when i turn on the receiver, the standard mode seems to be AV4. I get image from the TV-box but no sound until i press the HDMI1 on the remote. Why is that?

Is there any way to change this? Hope that some of you guys can help me figure this out :)

Turn off HDMI control and ARC on the TV. This may be called something else depending upon the make of TV you have. Also turn off HDMI Control on the AV receiver. The AV receiver will then start up set to the source it was using when put into standby.

Tried that, i think it works now.

But now i lost all the "connection" between the TV and the AV. I still want the AV to power off when i turn off the TV with the remote. And when i turn it on again i want the AV to start in HDMI1 mode.

I got this to work with my previous Onkyo 508 so i hope there is some way to do this on Yamaha as well. :)

Leave HDMI on, but turn HDMI ARC off.

There's no setting that will prioritise HDMI 1 at startup. The receiver will power up using the source it was put into standby using if ARC on the TV is turned off. If you put the receiver into standby while set to HDMI 1 then it will power back up set to HDMI 1.

It can be automated if using a learning remote such as one of Logitech's Harmony remotes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom