1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make accurate copy of an audio CD? EAC??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by milanlad, Dec 7, 2004.

1. milanlad

milanlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How do you make an accurate CD copy of an audio CD using EAC?

Is using the 'Copy CD' function of a program like EasyCD going to give me an accurate copy of an Audio CD?

Thanks

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Milan

I rip to my HD uncomped WAVs (Roxio Soundstream)
    I then burn to CD-R x1 or x2 speed (Roxio Music Project)
    Sony CD-RW Rom, Easy CD Creator 5 Platimum (included software above) TDK 80 CDRs.

No difference to the originals.

I also use I-Tunes on the same PC to burn from playlist (uncopmed WAVs again) no differences either. I even struggle to tell 320MP3s from CDs via I-Tunes to the original CD.

There was an excellent thread a few months ago you should read :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140722

Depending where you are at in your journey in audio belief YMMV of course.

3. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want an accurate copy I'd advise you to use EAC to rip to the hard-drive first then do a slow burn with something like Easy CD or Nero (unless somebody knows a better burner?)

4. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CloneCD is one of the best duplicators on the PC, no doubt others for Macs (usually use Toast on the Mac), it works on any format, and captures all the data. It appears that you can't download it any more from their site due to (c) issues. It came on cover discs with mags like PC Pro, perhaps a Google search would help.

Main site is at: here

HTH :cool:

5. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS just read the thread re the technical issues, quick addition...

I personally feel, if it is a true digital copy - you are copy bits of data, therefore in theory there should be absolutely no difference between the copy and the original.

However if your reader is using an analogue output, ripping to CD via sampling, then of course the copy will be worse.

Perhaps the quality of CD-R used also makes a difference. Also the reflective nature of CD-Rs coloured polymer as opposed to pressed "silver" CDs may perhap make the reading laser output different. Some readers same that copies sound "thicker" than originals.

From an IT point of view, a true digital copy (with no errors) must be identical to the original.

:zonked:

6. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    i don't know if you lot heard anything about this but a while ago you could send an original copy off to japan and they would duplicate it the copy was deemed to sound better than the original

the thinking behind this was..

a massed produced cd would have imperfections / bad data as well as the music within audio data, we all know that the digital filters in our cd players filters out the rubish ( oversampling ) if you use a very good cd player that manages to filter most if not all the unwanted rubbish then re recorded the outcome you would have a recording that would in theory be cleaner and would present itself as less of a challange to the digital filters in your domestic player

obviously the equipment used to do this would / should be better than the average domestic kit but times have moved on so who knows what can be achieved at home nowadays

more thoughts on this ?

7. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I've noticed a difference between copies I've made using Easy CD and Nero 6. I must admit to not having tried TDK blanks or the like but will give them a go once I've used up current supply. Can you explain what is mean by EAC and why should a slow burn really make any difference. I think its does slightly but why?

8. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EAC is a program called Exact Audio Copy that is the best windows tool I've found for error correction when ripping. CD is an error correcting format, discs are full of errors and only work because of the amount of parity checking (Data discs have a lot more than audio discs do for the obvious reason). So I'd use EAC to get the best quality rip and then burn slowly to minimise the burn errors on the CD-R.

9. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thanks for that. I went to the EAC site and had a read of the info on it but most is way over my head. If I download it will it then be used to make a copy to my hard disk and then I can use burning software such as Nero to put onto CD.

10. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Yes, exactly that. Use EAC to transfer an uncompressed WAV to your hard drive. Then use Nero to burn the WAVs, making an audio CD.