How to make a disk image? (Backup)

ash

So I re-installed Leopard, a brand new install. So I am going to update everything and install things I need such as NeoOffice, and other softwares/plug-ins.

And then I want to make a disk-image (which I can store on an external HD) so that I can get back to that quickly incase Leopard messes up on me.

Is this possible, what is the best way to do it?
Thanks
:thumbsup:

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

Grab SuperDuper - it's now free.

You can create a bootable backup on an external drive.

Steve

simon12

Two questions - Where is Super Duper free? and are the backup files that either of these programs create the same size as the HD they are copying or are they compressed?

stevelup

Distinguished Member
I have used both - they are both fine.

Currently I use CCC (that is the free one - I got mixed up earlier)

Steve

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Neither offer any compression. They are used for doing a bootable brick wall backup.

The strategy I use is as follows:-

Once a month, I do a CCC backup onto a spare external drive. It's a crappy 80GB thing bought of fleabay for about 30 quid. This gives me an emergency bootable image and I won't have to muck around reinstalling the OS to get back up and running if I have a problem. I exclude my home folder from this backup (which is where 95% of my data is). This backup is about 50GB (out of 450GB in total)

I then run Time Machine on it's usual schedule for regular differential backups.

I have never had to use my emergency image in anger but I always test it to see if it works!

Steve

CamFire

Distinguished Member
I would classify SuperDuper! (being un-registered or free) as a volume cloning utility; that is, the destination volume is an exact copy of the source for all practical reasons. Not compressed, zipped, etc., Differences are the temporary files, etc., which are updated constantly by the OS (Spotlight, kernel, etc).

Notice I said "volume" as a single HDD can contain multiple volumes.

SuperDuper!, in the free version, will insist on erasing the destination volume before cloning the source one. 100GB or so will take about 40 minutes. I've used SuperDuper! all these time without any problem at all.

Last edited:

simon12

Thanks for those replies. From what you are saying it seems the smartest thing to do is to make a SD or CCC backup from time to time in case of a major crash and then rely on my TM backup to get all the latest files across once I've rebooted with SD/CCC.

CamFire

Distinguished Member
In fact, that is what I do for OS updates - clone the "live" partition to an external volume before commencing the updates. The iMac we use is logged in with multiple users and switched around using Fast User Switching. Therefore, a cock-up will mess us all up - with sour faces at me :rolleyes: .

ash

Notice I said "volume" as a single HDD can contain multiple volumes.

So I made a bootable Clone of a fresh Leopard which I want to keep on an external HD using CCC.

Can I use TimeMachine on the same HD?
And how do you go about copying bootable clones, copy and paste suffice? I did it on a temporary ex-HD and want to move it over to a spare HDD I have.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

No reason why you couldn't use Time machine on the same drive. I'd partition it though if you are doing that.

To move a bootable clone to another disk, use the same tool that you used to create the clone in the first place. Copy / Paste will not guarantee it to be bootable.

Steve

ash

Hi

No reason why you couldn't use Time machine on the same drive. I'd partition it though if you are doing that.

To move a bootable clone to another disk, use the same tool that you used to create the clone in the first place. Copy / Paste will not guarantee it to be bootable.

Steve

Oooh, partition! Great thinking!

Thanks.

ash

You're moving in the right direction...Partitioning of a HDD creates two or more volumes.

I know that :p thanks :D

Just never thought about it.

I have a 500GB HDD in my MacBook, and when there was about 75GB left, and after the latest update, it was crashing a lot. Maybe it was the software I was using? But I decided to do a clean install as there was a lot of junk on the machine.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom