How to link new equipment - TV, DVD & VM Cable

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Shaldon, Sep 12, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Shaldon

Shaldon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

At the weekend we went and got an LCD TV and a DVD Recorder and I am in need of a bit of help in how to link them all up.

At the moment I have the External aerial going into the Virgin Media Cable box which is then joined to the DVD through the Antenna In and then joins the TV from Antenna Out. The Cable service is joined to the DVD by a SCART cable and then a second SCART cable goes to the TV.

My problems and questions are firstly I can not view the TV if the DVD is turned off despite the manual stating that this should be possible.

The second problem is I tried a HDMI cable between the DVD and TV but the picture on the TV when viewing on HD source had at the top of the screen a broken line like a series of dashes and also in the top left corner 3 or 4 little flashing lines. This happened with both TV and pre-recorded DVDs so assume it is something to do with the link rather than the TV signal. The Virgin box is not an HD box and there is no HDMI plug on it.

The set up is how I think we had things before with a traditional set, a VHS recorder and the cable box although I must admit I stupidly didn't make a note of things before changing.

Thanks

John

2. Shaldon

Shaldon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add my kit is as follow:

Hyundai E230D 23" TV
    LG DR289H DVD Recorder
    Virgin Media (Telewest) Pace Cable box

Sorry I thought I had set this to show under my username on the left hand panel.

3. Steve1951

Steve1951

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi
    i am not conversant with your kit,but if its a cable box why ae you running your aerial to it?

The cable signal usually enters the TV on a scart.AV1

The aerial (if you want to use it at all) straight to the TV or VCR then VCR to AV2 via scart etc etc

Sounds to me like you have terrestrial interfereing with your cable through incorrect connections.

Cant your virgin help line assist.

I have Virgin broadband and I find them excellent

Steve

4. Shaldon

Shaldon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Steve,

Does AV1 and AV2 mean I need two Scart connections to the TV as there is only one SCART socket? I guess that would mean getting an adapter

I'm looking to still use the aerial just for when I want to record terriestrial whilst watching cable and did think perhaps it should go into the recorder directly but thought it was in the cable box before.

I haven't tried Virgin help as not been home much since getting things on Sunday PM but I agree that is probably a good move.

Once again thanks for replying and the suggestions.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Connect the aerial to the Virgin. Then from the Scart out of the Virgin to the Scart in on the DVD Recorder, then scart out of the DVD Recorder to the scart of the TV.

To record from Virgin to DVD, put the DVD Recorder on the AV input that the scart in goes to. You can leave the input as it is all the time. This will make the picture from Virgin appear on the TV. When you turn the Recorder off, the Virgin should pass through to the TV.

You will not be able to record analogue terrestial TV whilst watching Virgin as the input on the recorder is different.

6. Shaldon

Shaldon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

I didn't know that analogue could not be recorded if watching Virgin. Would I have to consider also linking my old VHR as well as otherwise there doesn't seem much reason for bothering with the terrestrial TV signal.

Thanks

John

7. Steve1951

Steve1951

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Again

NW is probably right as I have no experience of the cable box.

But if it helps

My set up is a bit old hat but heres how it goes.

Aerial into digi box into VCR (yes VCR) then into TV

Scart from digi box to Tv AV1
    2nd Scart from VCR to To Digi Box

Dvd Scart to AV2.

I can then tape anything digital by selecting L1 on the VCR,but must leave the digi box on that channel.

I can then watch tV in analogue.

Other way round if what I want to tape is analogue and watch digital.

I know its different kit but the principle is the same.

However not all machies have these options and sockets

I know its a bit of a lash up but it does work.

Steve

8. Steve1951

Steve1951

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi NW Garrett

As I said I dont use a cable box.

Why does the aerial need to go into the cable box?

I am sure you are right but I dont get it.

Surely Shaldon can take the aerial feed straight to whatever bit of kit he wants it to feed as the Tv is being fed straight from the Virgin cable.

In fact if he wanted he could leave the aerial disconnected couldnt he?

Thinking about it is this because a DVD recorder has not got an analogue tuner?

Regards

Steve

9. Shaldon

Shaldon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve
    It is odd why the aerial goes to the Cable box. It was how we had it before when we had a VHR and Telewest Cable, as was, came to set it up but I don't remember hearing any reasons behind it.
    John

10. sln8458

sln8458

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I have a Virgin Media box (formally NTL), but all now the same company I think
    Vistron 32" LCD, Hitachi VCR, Philips DVD

Cabling:-

TV Aerial - VCR - TV

Virgin via scart - VCR - TV

DVD - componet + audio to TV

HTH
    SteveN

11. Shaldon

Shaldon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help. I am going to have a play around with the cables tomorrow to see if I can get to grips with it all.
    John

12. Steve1951

Steve1951

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    John

The reply from SteveN is how I would see it too.

If you are using cable there is no need for an aerial at all........However if you want to use it you can to feed a VCR etc or to allow you to use tje aerial if Virgin were to go wrong.

Perhaps you plug your aerial into the virgin box which will then allow you to switch it via your remote,but I would have thought there would have been an aerial out fly lead from the virgin box?

Good Luck

Steve